leak in air suspension bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

setter

We have a 36 foot Winnebago diesel pusher and recently had both rear air suspension bags deflate completely while on the road. We limped home and had them replaced...a very costly endeavor. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue. We were told we had too much weight on our RV....food, clothes, etc. This is a Freightliner chassis so it seems a bit odd to me. Anyone else?

I doubt if the problem was too much weight, but without some axle ratings and your actual loaded weight, how could we know? Or for that matter, how would the shop know to say that? It would have to be an extreme overload to actually burst the bags.

How old is the coach?  In a motorhome, air bags usually last 18-20+ years.  Had the bags cracked from the rubber aging, or did they actually burst apart?  Having both go at once seems odd as well - I have to wonder if the real problem was a failed air line for the rear suspension and the new bags maybe not even necessary.

Replacing air bags should not be expensive either, but if you took it to an RV shop you probably paid super-steep labor rates and far more hours than the job really takes. Most any truck shop could have done it for you more reasonably.

What Gary said. Air bags are relatively inexpensive and, by their nature easily replaced. Additionally, their load capability is by design higher than actually required (there is little downside or expense in doing so). I can't imagine two failing independently, but they may be cross connected. A leaking fitting or line is much more likely. It's a truck chassis! In this case take it to freightliner for chassis service (in Gaffney if practical).

Ernie

Note: My recent company actually worked with Firestone to develop this design and I have designed and produced similar products for much more strenuous applications.

In the trucking industry, about the only way you can wear a suspension or cab air bag out, before wearing the complete truck out, is to run the bag with a worn out shock absorber for a LONG time.

Back
Top Bottom