Need Dog Training Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccummings

We travel in a travel trailer and love taking our small dog with us.  Unfortunately he barks if left alone in the RV for even 5 minutes.  He's walked, fed, and comfortable in the RV, just doesn't want to be separated.    I really want to work on training him to stay alone in the RV, but am looking for advice to get him used to being alone for short periods of time.  He's a 7 year old maltese mix and unfortunately has a very loud, high pitched bark.    I don't want to disturb those camping around us.

Welcome to the forum.
Have you thought about training him with a bark collar.  In time, you may be able to do away with it.

Leave radio or tv on?  One of your shirts around for him to snuggle with?  How is he at home when he's alone?

When he was a puppy it took about 4-6 months for him to get used to being home alone, but in a house he could bark and get over himself.  We've even tried Xanax for him & that didn't help. 

winona said:
Leave radio or tv on?  One of your shirts around for him to snuggle with?  How is he at home when he's alone?

This might help.  I would recommend getting some meditative, Reki, or Shamatic type music to play while out of your rig, turn it on at least several minutes before leaving.  While our dogs are not nuisance barkers and handle separation well, we have found playing the aforementioned music, not only calms them down, but they tend to zone out and go to sleep.  Suggest leaving your rig for a few minutes at a time and standing outside to listen, give it a few minutes as he may stop on his own and if he does, immediately go back in. Try not to go back in when he is barking unless it appears he won't stop.  The idea is to condition him that barking won't necessarily bring you back.  If that is not working I would enlist the help of a professional trainer and finally if all else fails, a bark collar.

Another suggestion -- Thundershirt?  My son uses one for his dog for thunderstorms and fireworks.

We use a barking bird house. Bought one online and then found another one in town that someone didn't want.. Bought first one for a neighbor's dog that barked all day. It puts out a sound when the dog has a constant bark, in one tone... Now we take the extra one with us when camping, because Yes, there is nothing worse than being  parked at the lake, listening to ducks and the neighbor leaves his dog or dogs, who barks for hours upon hours! Plus, we have a dog, and leave her occasionally and don't want her bothering others by barking!

But we do take our dog out for a nice walk, and give her lots of exercise before we ever leave her in camper....

https://www.chewy.com/dogtek-sonic-bird-house/dp/133897?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Dogtek&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9afOBRDWARIsAJW4nvwLDCT2t-30hpBhYIlrVCGinaQFl_iLDu2k-vWcu1HfbuP3NojE4DwaAmNGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom