Need Advice * Am I Overreacting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AutoFx

Hi all,

I'm just about ready to take off on a 2 week honeymoon trip, which will start with my RV rental in Vegas from Road Bear.  We're getting married when we land, and then taking off to see the national parks of Utah and Arizona. 

So here's the problem:
We called months ago to confirm and schedule the airport pick up, since it's on a Saturday. They casually told us "No big deal, give us a call when it gets closer."  We got the general feeling that they had no idea who we were or had any record of our booking because they didn't know what kind of RV we reserved when I asked if it would be ok for the tunnel at Zion.  Anyway, we just called to confirm the airport pickup and they told us "Nope, too late.  We close at 1 and if you don't get here in time, you're out of luck and you can't pick up until Monday. No refunds."  The manager also made a comment about how they don't have to stay late because of us, which I thought was not only uncalled for, but aggressive.  As a business owner myself, I'm still fuming after getting off the phone at how poorly I was treated as a customer.

Our flight is scheduled to land at 12:08, and they refuse to pick us up at the airport as was stated in our confirmation.  It clearly says "Saturday pick up by appointment, generally between 12 and 13:00"

I spoke to customer service and then emailed, I explained everything and their emailed response was "Thank you for your email, our hours on Saturday are 8am-1pm and the confirmation states: General pick up from 12:00-1:00pm.
We certainly understand your situation but unfortunately we cannot tell our staff to work overtime. It is at their sole discretion.
Provided your plane arrives on time we recommend to take a cab as soon as you arrive to get to our location which is not far from the airport."

So, RV Forum Community.......am I wrong to be upset about this?  Is this normal?  Is there any way we're going to make it in time??

I would call them and cancel and find another company to rent from. That is a horrible way to treat a paying client. They charge an arm and a leg for their service. :)(

SeilerBird said:
I would call them and cancel and find another company to rent from. That is a horrible way to treat a paying client. They charge an arm and a leg for their service. :)(

X10. First though  I'd call your credit card company and dispute current charges and block future charges from them as fraudulent misrepresentation. Then immediately call and cancel.

I'd call Cruise America (mainly because they're one of the biggest). I just checked availability, looks like they have both the standard and large RV available starting the 30th for 2 weeks.

No, I don't think you are over reacting either. And I would be just as concerned because I recently flew and delays are commonplace. Is there any possibility you can take an earlier flight? I don't know how much luck you would have renting another RV at this late date.

Edit: Good advice from Scott^^^

Even with rental cars, they just don't care because there are more customers than available vehicles.  They lack a reason to be accommodating to their customers. I don't think you are over-reacting, but I don't hav a suggestion to help you other than to have a plan B just in case.

I agree, have a plan B, maybe spend night 1 and 2 in Vegas, it is your wedding night, and a nice hotel room may work out better than an unfamiliar rental RV.  See the local sights on Sunday, and pick up the RV first thing Monday and hit the road.

Yep, I would be mad, but don?t let it ruin your honeymoon. They are jerks. That said, maybe just offer to pay more so they will wait for you, then get on with your life. This is a tiny bump in the future of marriage, so just enjoy and forget it. Congratulations by the way. ?

Hi AutoFS,

We've rented a couple of times from RoadBear, including from their Las Vegas location, and despite some technical issues at our last rental (around 3 years ago) we've found them to be generally helpful and accommodating.

Your report shows that's no longer the case; and we agree with Sun2Retire, this is actual fraudulent misrepresentation. Under these circumstances, we would *not* do business with them.

Apart from CruiseAmerica, I would also try these guys: https://www.ideamerge.com. They act as a kind of broker for the rental companies, and they were always able to get us good prices (better than directly from the RCs) and great service, we can't recommend them enough.

Good luck, and may you have a great wedding and honeymoon and a long and happy marriage!

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo (happily married for 31 years, and counting)

What a mess.  Visa says I can't dispute the charges since I used a debit card and it's been more than 90 days.  That's what I get for being responsible and not using credit! 
So the plan is to leave the fiancee at the airport to get the bags, rush off the plane straight to a taxi, and tell the driver there's $50 bucks in it for him if he can get me to the pick up location before they close! 
If I don't make it in time, plan B is to rent a car and go to Zion for the weekend, and then come back Monday morning for the RV.  Zion was our main focus, so we booked 4 nights there, and we're not missing that for anything.  Never a dull moment.

A sincere thank you to everybody who chimed in, and especially for all the well-wishes.  No matter what happens, we're beyond happy and excited to be getting married and we can't wait to get out there!

I love Zion. Been there many times. If you love to hike it is paradise. Angel's Landing and the Narrows are two of the best hikes in the country.

https://youtu.be/igI1OFitYFk

Great memories no matter how it works out.  I wish you MANY happy years!

We've been married for 90 years.  That's 45 for her and 45 for me.

We've been happily married for 42 years, and 42 out of 45 is a darn good average!

grashley said:
Great memories no matter how it works out.  I wish you MANY happy years!

We've been married for 90 years.  That's 45 for her and 45 for me.

We've been happily married for 42 years, and 42 out of 45 is a darn good average!

Hmmm... By that reckoning, we've done 102. Hmmm...

Can someone else collect it on your behalf?

When we enquired about rental they wouldn't let us collect it in day we arrived. Maybe this is only International customers or it's changed. We didn't hire one in the end.

Just be wary, if they treat you like this going in, what will happen returning unit?

I have sent you a personal message. We are going to be in Vegas from Friday for a month so if there is anything we can do to help let me know. I have sent an email address and phone number as I can't always get into this site using my mobile data.

Back
Top Bottom