Don't do as I did when applying ZEP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I've got a guy buffing the oxidation off the entire rig. Only charging me $200.00.  Today I was able to get started on the outside wall of my big slide and the front end cap. I started on the slide first.  I watched a UTube video about a guy showing how to apply ZEP. He said to get a pail of water with about 1" deep of water and drop the rag in it. Then wring it out and fold it so you get  roughly 4" X 4" pad to work with. He said after wringing it out then pour some Zep on it. He only put on about a capful. I did all that. I put on 1 coat and it looked like crap. I did 2 more coats and it still looked like crap. I was surprised because so many members raved about it.
When I was putting it on, it had the tendency to run real easy and that got me thinking.  ::)  That get's me in trouble a lot.  ;D
I thought that maybe the water was thinning out the Zep.  The 4th coat I just used a dry cloth and I put some Zep an it and started again. Right now I've got 5 coats on it and it's just starting to pop. I can still see the little runs from the first 3 coats but I'm hoping they get covered over.
I did 2 coats on the front cap. The first was with the wet rag and the 2nd was with just the Zep rag. It looks sooooo good. Tomorrow I'll put on a couple more on the cap and that should do it.

The moral of the story, DO NOT use a water damp rag. Use a dry microfiber rag.

Rene- when you finish yours, you can try the dry microfiber rag theory out on mine! ;D I don't want you to leave us hanging without knowing for sure. 8)

kdbgoat said:
Rene- when you finish yours, you can try the dry microfiber rag theory out on mine! ;D I don't want you to leave us hanging without knowing for sure. 8)

You are so kind thinking of me.  I think I know the problem now I have to deal with the slide wall. I may have to strip it down to bare bones again. If I keep adding Zep, I think you'll still see the remnants of the first three coats and it will always look like crap.
I'll keep you in mind.  :)( :)( :)( :p :p :p

Hi Rene,

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is this ZEP you are talking about? Tried to look it up and the nearer I got was some kind of wax floor polish, but I don't think that's what you are referring to...

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

VallAndMo said:
Hi Rene,
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is this ZEP you are talking about? Tried to look it up and the nearer I got was some kind of wax floor polish, but I don't think that's what you are referring to...
Cheers,
--
  Vall.

That's exactly what it is. If you do a search here for ZEP, you'll find many posts about it. If applied CORRECTLY, it rejuvenates the finish on RV's especially old one's and gives the RV a wet look which is suppose to last a year with some minor touch up or maintenance after a year.  We'll see. The biggest thing is prepping the surface. You have to remove ALL traces of paste wax and oxidation.  Zep also brings back the color of decals, to a certain extent.

Rene T said:
I may have to strip it down to bare bones again. If I keep adding Zep, I think you'll still see the remnants of the first three coats and it will always look like crap.

Man... that sucks. :( That's a lot of work to go through. I assume Zep makes a remover?

kdbgoat said:
Man... that sucks. :( That's a lot of work to go through. I assume Zep makes a remover?

Yes they do. I'm going to get some today and give it a shot. Luckily it's only my slide wall which has to be done and that's about 8' long with a couple of windows so there isn't much surface area.

VallAndMo said:
Hi Rene,

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Just to be clear, the ZEP product used for RV finish rejuvenation is an acrylic floor finish, not a "wax". The results and method of applying it are very similar to much more expensive specialty acrylic products marketed for refinishing fiberglass on boats and RV's. ZEP even smells the same as the more expensive products... ;)

A note to anyone looking for more information related to using ZEP "Wet Look" acrylic floor finish on RV's: You may run across references to using "Red Max Pro" acrylic floor finish with extensive instructions for using it on RV's. "Red Max Pro" was exactly the same product as ZEP "Wet Look", and in fact was packaged by ZEP as a private labeled product sold by Lowe's. Lowe's has since discontinued carrying it under the Red Max label, but does carry the ZEP product now, so anything you read about using Red Max also applies to ZEP.

kdbgoat said:

I just purchased a gallon of the Zep stripper and tried it in a small section still in the shade. Looks like it's going to work real good.  After the sun goes away later on today, I'm going to tackle it. Then I'll wash the surface real good with soap and water then start over again applying Zep with a dry cloth.

I didn't use Zep brand, but a different brand acrylic floor polish
Mine was the same...a lot of coats for it to look good.

Sometime later I went over it with one or two coats to bring it back.... I'm way past due to do that again... but I'd say it still looks better than it did originally even now after a lot of time and miles

blw2 said:
I didn't use Zep brand, but a different brand acrylic floor polish
Mine was the same...a lot of coats for it to look good.

Sometime later I went over it with one or two coats to bring it back.... I'm way past due to do that again... but I'd say it still looks better than it did originally even now after a lot of time and miles

Brad, how long ago did you do the 1st application?

I want to say it was summer before last, but can't remember exactly which month...
I re coated I think it was the end of last summer....one coat I believe, but it might have been two....just a quick go over
haven't done it at all this year....yet.  Doesn't look great now, but likely a tiny bit better than it was before the initial go....  At this point, I probably should go over it with the scrub again first.... but if I can get to it in the next couple months will likely try just a good washing then a couple coats to see how it looks.....

When I did mine originally, I went over the whole coach very thoroughly scrubbing hard with barkeeper's friend, then followed by the many coats of polish

I just finished stripping the Zep. It came off fairly easy. Starting from the bottom and working up, I went over a small area several times then while it was still wet, I washed it down with soap and water then a good rinse. After it dried, I found a couple of small spots I missed so I did it again. Letting it dry right now for a final inspection then I'll start applying the Zep gain.

Does Zep do a better job than a properly applied paste wax?

John Beard said:

I don't have an answer for you because I never hand waxed my rig. Too much work.  So far, this Zep appears to be working out real good.
Other experienced members may chime in.

I'm happy for you that it came off easy. I envisioned quite a mess. It would have been if I were doing it.

kdbgoat said:
I'm happy for you that it came off easy. I envisioned quite a mess. It would have been if I were doing it.

I didn't sleep much last night thinking about the grief I was about to get into.

I was thinking it would be a sticky goo, getting all over the windows, gaskets, etc.

John Beard said:

probably not.... especially if your surface is nice to begin with anyway.

I have also read that there are long term problems doing it.... it turns yellow or some such thing.  Once reason I haven't been too over zealous about re-applying..... but my gut tells me the stuff will weather off soon enough so I'm not too concerned

Thing is, it's a floor polish, not engineered to be a vehicle polish...different environments so likely not as good on many counts...

that being said.... My MH was faded in places fairly bad.  I tried and tried to buff it out with various compounds and waxes.  Even bought myself an electric buffer.  I never could get it looking worth a hoot.
Tried the barkeeper's friend / floor polish routine and wow.  Not as good as new paint job, and some pro detailers might be able to match the look with proper materials, but it sure did look a whole lot better.

Back
Top Bottom