I went all-in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdoc

I came to the forum to gather information....

I knew I wanted a new F-150 for the MPG, technology, and 11K Lbs ability. Pretty much a done deal. I'm Looking to buy a 30' TT.

But I research purchases, especially in this dollar range, probably to a fault. I read many compelling posts; this brand, that engine, that setup.
I know I'm better for reading it all. But the knowledge of weight, and the effects of weight, drove me to a F-250.

But then, I had to contemplate Diesel vs Gas. Friggin research started all over again....

Saturday, I went all-in on the 2017 Powerstroke. Never owned a diesel before. I love it, and more importantly, the better half loves it.

Nice!
I'm on my second diesel Look through the supplement to the manual it will answer a lot of questions.

Thanks for the purchase I've been working at the factory that makes them for the last year. :D

There's nothing quite like a " coal burner"!  Now....throw about 15, 000 lbs of 5th wheel on it's back, and enjoy RV'ing! Welcome aboard!

Good result. I went the other way and bought a smaller trailer that wouldn't take the load above any of the F150 limits. Either way is good.

Very good choice!  But forget all about a 15,000 lb 5er!  Way over weight limits for F250!  It WILL  handle a 15,000 lb TT, however!

grashley said:
Very good choice!  But forget all about a 15,000 lb 5er!  Way over weight limits for F250!  It WILL  handle a 15,000 lb TT, however!

Unless I'm reading the spec's incorrectly: 2017 SRW  4x4  6.7 Diesel    Supercab  tow rating gooseneck/ 5th wheel 16500 lbs

Memtb said:
Unless I'm reading the spec's incorrectly: 2017 SRW  4x4  6.7 Diesel    Supercab  tow rating gooseneck/ 5th wheel 16500 lbs

What it can "tow" and what it can "haul" are two entirely different things with two entirely different limits. Whichever limit is reached FIRST is the controlling factor. A 16,500 lb. fifth wheel camper with a 3300 lb. pin weight (20%) could be pushing the limits of the GVWR.

atwowheelguy said:
What it can "tow" and what it can "haul" are two entirely different things with two entirely different limits. Whichever limit is reached FIRST is the controlling factor. A 16,500 lb. fifth wheel camper with a 3300 lb. pin weight (20%) could be pushing the limits of the GVWR.

I would suggest that "Pushing" and "way over" to be of considerably different values!

When I mentioned the 15K unit, it was merely a round figure. I should have realized that I would be called on that. Knowing that the OP had a 2017 6.7 Diesel ( minimum chassis would be a F 250), I thought that 15K would be within the operating perimeter of the vehicle. And is, according to the Ford spec sheet... unless the owner puts a lot of additional weight in the truck bed.

I was apparently overly "exuberant " in congratulating the OP on his selection of tow vehicles. And as a side note... the vast majority of 5ers purchased fall below 15 K. So....unless the OP gets a fairly large toy hauler or a large "high-end" unit, most will be well under the 15K!

Memtb said:
unless I read it wrong the Super Cab is rated at 15,400 and the regular cab at 16,500. I have the crew cab also listed max 15,400

martin2340 said:
unless I read it wrong the Super Cab is rated at 15,400 and the regular cab at 16,500. I have the crew cab also listed max 15,400

I stand corrected...I got on the 4x2 spec sheet. Of course, it is rated (barely) for the 15K

So the OP makes a wise decision to buy plenty of truck for the trailer he wants and now we are saying that he should get a ridiculously large trailer and push the limits once again? 

The OP simply said he bought a '17 F250 diesel.  Period.  Assume a GVWR of 10,000#.  The base curb wt varies from 6500# to 7500#, depending on cab and 2WD or 4WD.  Note base curb is a bare naked XL - NO options, and the weight of all options and aftermarket accessories must be added to the base curb wt.  It does include a full tank of fuel. 

The MAXIMUM PAYLOAD for a F250 -- reg cab, 2WD, XL is 3500#.  A F250 Crew Cab, 4WD, XL  will have a 2500# max payload.  Deduct another 500# for Lariat trim.

A 15,000# FW  will have a pin wt around 3,000#.  This is already way over the capacity of a CC 4WD, and it includes no passengers or even a driver!

With a bare naked XL Reg  cab, which is called a work truck and not the normal private consumer configuration, will only have 500# for a 200# hitch, driver, passengers and other cargo.

The advertising department  numbers will always use a configuration to give the biggest number.  In their world, a F250  (XL, reg cab 2WD) CAN TOW a 15000# FW, but the truck can only carry 2 passengers at 150# each.  And no other cargo.  They said they do make a F250 that can tow a 15,000# FW.  They NEVER said YOURS could! 

I am not suggesting he buy a bigger camper.  I am simply saying there IS a limit to what it can tow safely.

I stand by my statement. 

This will be our first RV, so probably a used 30' unit, weighing around 9K loaded up. I should be able to roll where ever we want. But the fifth wheels always catch me eye.
I stepped up for the comfort and safety. Didn't want the tail wagging the dog.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom