Walking on the Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConductorX

I am guilty.  I watch YouTube videos on everything.  I even post my own YouTube videos.

I subscribed to several RV related channels and I see these people walking around on the roof of their motor home or trailer like it is no big deal.  I have lived in house trailers and would never dream of walking on the roof.  I don't see my self standing up and walking around it will likely be on hands and knees if at all.

Is this really OK?  I am not sure what kind of roof my RV has.  It does not have any kind of luggage rack just a ladder going up to the roof.  I sure do not wish to damage the thing. 

Thanks for the feedback,
"CX"

Most all RVs have ladders. They would not have ladders if it was not safe. RV roofs should be inspected and patched once a year and resealed every five years. This would not be possible if you could not walk on the roof.

My understanding is as Seilerbird said, if it has a ladder it's ok to go up there. I would add that it also may depend on your weight and abilities. When I go up on any of them I try to always step where the roof rafters are.  I also have to be careful because it has become more crowded up there with solar panels and sat dome etc.

It's not a bad idea to use your hands and knees if that works for you. Another thing I have noticed and improved on with a couple RV's is the flimsy ladder mounts. On mine and my sons TT I extended and fastened two pieces of metal from the bottom of the ladder down to the bumper. It made a tremendous difference in the rigidity and not flexing the ladder mounts over and over.

For most anything built in the last 25 years or so, it should be safe for the roof. Maybe not so safe for the walker, but that's a matter of personal caution. Some rigs state a weight limit, e.g. 250 lbs, though.  If in doubt, use small pieces of plywood to spread the weight of foot or knee somewhat.

Back in the 80's there were some RV roofs made of thin metal sheets over thin rafters. Walking on them was a no-no unless you stepped only on the rafter areas. Even then it was a bit chancy.

I've heard tell of a few smaller trailers that say "no walking on the roof", but I've never actually encountered one.

The presence of a roof ladder is an open invitation by the manufacturer to climb up there. The lack of a ladder, however, does not imply the opposite.

I guess it depends on the manufacture,

My motorhome has a roof ladder and it has two texture grip paths going all the way to the front so you don't slip off.

Having gone on numerous motorhome factory tours, we've seen many workers walking on the roof as they've gone about their business.  If it weren't safe I doubt they'd be doing it.  Trailers I don't know about.

ArdraF

On Winnebagos you have to walk on the roof, so you can caulk the edges to keep the wind from blowing the roof off :)  No seriously, I walk on mine all the time and other than avoid falling, i don't give it a second thought.

Some of the newer 5th wheels that are rated for 1/2 ton I've notice the roof is a lot more spongey.  Likely thinner wood to reduce the weight.  All still had ladders, some had 250 lbs. weight capacity limit decals on the ladders.  So if you're 249 buck naked...stay the hell off the roof.  We don't want to see that! :eek:

Wi1dBi11

I'm on my roof at least four times a year washing it, inspecting it and repairing wifi lines, A/C covers, etc. 

I have a policy that says I can't walk backwards at all. Have to turnaround to move. And go slow.

Wi1dBill said:
Some of the newer 5th wheels that are rated for 1/2 ton I've notice the roof is a lot more spongey.  Likely thinner wood to reduce the weight.  All still had ladders, some had 250 lbs. weight capacity limit decals on the ladders.  So if you're 249 buck naked...stay the hell off the roof.  We don't want to see that! :eek:

Wi1dBi11

At 249, he'd be safe.

SeilerBird said:
Most all RVs have ladders. They would not have ladders if it was not safe. RV roofs should be inspected and patched once a year and resealed every five years. This would not be possible if you could not walk on the roof.

My faith in walking on the roof  fails when I take a close look at how the ladders are built. (No OSHA labels on them ?) I have taken a couple apart, saw how they are built and how they corrode internally after a few years. If they are an indication of it being safe to walk on the roof, good luck to those who do it. I am sure the manufacturer will stand behind them. WAY  behind!

Old Racer said:
My faith in walking on the roof  fails when I take a close look at how the ladders are built. (No OSHA labels on them ?) I have taken a couple apart, saw how they are built and how they corrode internally after a few years. If they are an indication of it being safe to walk on the roof, good luck to those who do it. I am sure the manufacturer will stand behind them. WAY  behind!

Find and price out the nut inserts that hold the ladder together. I found and modified metric bicycle stem nuts pretty cheap but not the 1/4-20 size that the ladder uses. Support legs attached to the bumper work well.

Attachments

• IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 16
I found our MH ladder to be built like a fire escape compared to that thin ladder on our 5er.

Old Racer said:
My faith in walking on the roof  fails when I take a close look at how the ladders are built. (No OSHA labels on them ?)

I pulled my RV ladder off and replaced it with a couple of J hooks (When  say I pulled it off I mean I just reached out and gave it a tug and off it came.. Yes, that easy).

THe hooks hold a ladder that easily holds my 300+ pounds. it is both a step and and extension ladder so it is much more veersitle. plus when I climb it it's a slanted ladder and way way way easier to climb than a vertical ladder. 

Back
Top Bottom