Changing out the power converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shasta Bob

Help has anyone change out the factory converter to this Progressive dynamics converter any help is appreciated. bob
here is the new one?
https://rvpowerhouse.com/product/progressive-dynamics-power-converter-pd9260/

Not yet, but that is the one I'm going to buy pretty quick. The one in my coach is very noisy, has a very loud hum. I have used progressive converters before on my other coachs, never had a problem with them.

What converter do you have now?

Twp types of converters  Stand alone and integrated

Stand alones come in plug in and hard wired

Mine is a plug in.. I unplug and remove, disconnect two wires,  hook to new mount and plug in.

Hard wired the "unplug" and "plug in" is a bit diffrent (Disconnect/reconnect)

and for those where it's built into the power center.. That one can be tricky depending on how much excess wire is behind the panel.. You may have to disconnect every wire (label it first) to get the panel out... Or not  Depending.  From there on it is easy.

bestconverters.com has some good instructions on replacing the units and also some good packages that include everything needed.

Shasta Bob said:
Help has anyone change out the factory converter to this Progressive dynamics converter any help is appreciated. bob
here is the new one?
https://rvpowerhouse.com/product/progressive-dynamics-power-converter-pd9260/
A repair service replaced my factory converter with that exact model. Very quiet and it seems to do a better job of keeping my batteries charged.

Replacing the OEM WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics was one of the first mods I made to my ACE 30.1. WFCO converters are not the best for batteries. The OEM Harris batteries the coach came with lasted less than a year - I think a combination of cheap batteries, poor converter and maybe sitting in Thor's inventory too long. Harris generally doesn't honor warranties and points to the converter as the cause of failure. I now have a "good" set of Interstate 6V batteries and a good converter. Just added a Trimetric battery monitor to help keep it that way.

The Progressive Dynamics unit was a direct slide in replacement for the WFCO converter. Check what model you have and look up the correct replacement on the Progressive Dynamics web site. They list direct replacements for a couple of converter manufacturers and sizes. Change out took about 45 minutes, about 15 minutes of which was consumed by trying to slide the new unit in the wrong way (coils on the original with on the back side, but the PD unit has them on the front side). Once I figured that out it it was only a few minutes. Just two sets of wires - AC in and DC out which connect using the original cables.

I also found that the DC distribution board shipped with the PD unit wouldn't work with the way my coach is wired. The original board had 40 amp main fuses while the PD board only had 30 amp main fuses. Talked with PD and they said just keep the original board. Only loss was the status LED and mode button. I bought their dongle. which does the same thing. They said that they were looking at changing to a 40 distribution board, but hadn't got there yet.

That is a "deck mount" converter/charger, so it is easy swapped for another deck mount unit. Not quite so easy if you have an integrated unit (see JFD's post), since it involves wiring modifications, but the principle is still the same.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom