ac power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with Alfa38User. At this point, things seem to be pointing to the automatic transfer switch (ATS) as the source of the problem, but I would like to know if you have reset the "Main" circuit breaker as suggested earlier. That may not be the cause of the problem, but I'd like to rule it out.

Kev

The repairman said he tested everything and we need a new invertor but the invertor works. So I am not sure that is our problem. Being it will cost us $1900 dollars I would like to be sure that is what we need.

The repairman may, or may not be right - I don't know. We're trying to help you troubleshoot to determine what the problem is, but we're getting very little feedback from you when we ask questions, and when we recommend things for you to check. I'd suggest that you read through the entire topic, check the things we've recommended and answer our specific questions. We're here to help.

Kev

We checked everything we could.Main breaker,surge protecter outlets and fuses. Then we took it to the rv repair place and they checked everything else  but when I asked them to check the ATS on the generator they said our generoter did not have one. Do diesel generators have a ATS(automatic transfer switch?

99.9% of RVs with any kind of a generator have a shore power/generator ATS.  The only exception is if you have to manually plug the shore power cord into a generator powered outlet to get generator power into the house ... and the tech should know that.

Unless you have that rare exception, I'd go to another repair place and have them take a look at the problem before shelling out $1900 for a possibly unnecessary repair.

msever said:
We checked everything we could.Main breaker,surge protecter outlets and fuses. Then we took it to the rv repair place and they checked everything else  but when I asked them to check the ATS on the generator they said our generoter did not have one. Do diesel generators have a ATS(automatic transfer switch?
The ATS is not ON the generator normally. It is probably in an electrical compartment somewhere. That may be where the confusion is.

msever said:
we have no 120v when plugged in and no 120v when generator is running
PLEASE be more specific.  Does the air conditioner work or not, either on shore power or generator.  The air conditioner does not connect to or through the inverter. 

we have no power when generator is running or when plugged in,so the air conditioner does not work

Not to beat a dead horse, but it sure sounds like you have a problem with the generator/shore power transfer switch, NOT the inverter.

If your repairman doesn't recognize this, and still wants to sell you a $1900 inverter, I'd take your RV to another shop and get a second opinion.

Msever, thanks for those answers. They were helpful. They further confirm what I believe is the problem - your automatic transfer switch (ATS)

An ATS is usually a stand-alone device, and the ones I've seen were installed near where the shore-power cord goes into the RV, but who knows. The ATS detects if A/C power is coming from either the generator or shore-power, and automatically switches to the source that's providing power.

When you asked the tech if the problem could be with the generator's ATS, his answer was technically correct, although somewhat incomplete - your generator doesn't have an ATS - the motorhome has one. I can't help but wonder if his answer was intentionally worded that way to confuse you, but you'll have to determine that.

If A/C power from the generator or shore-power can't get past the ATS, because it has malfunctioned, you would see exactly the symptoms you're having. I am no expert on your inverter, but from what you've said, it seems to be working. It's inverting 12 volts D/C to 120 volts A/C and powering your outlets and appropriate appliances. Maybe the tech has determined that another of its functions isn't operating properly, but I don't know what that would be.

If you don't feel comfortable locating and testing your ATS, my recommendation would be to take the RV to another tech and get another opinion. Or, call a mobile RV tech and have them come to you. If they've been in business for awhile, they should be able to resolve this fairly quickly. An new ATS is a lot cheaper than a new inverter.

Keep us posted.

Kev

Our inverter is Heart-Freedom which is a invertor/converter/charger combined.

Thanks for that info. So the air conditioner doesn't run from either shore or genset power. Do the coach interior lights still work? I'm trying to ascertain whether you have any 12vdc power, which is distinct from 120v shore & genset power. The lighting is 12v and thus runs from battery or the converter portion of the Heart Freedom inverter.

So far I'm not seeing how they arrived at the inverter diagnosis...

yes we have 12volt lights.The invertor will run everything it is supposed to.

So, why then do they think the inverter is at fault?  If it inverts, and converts (provides 12v from shore power), and charges batteries, what else do they expect it to do?

The more info we hear, the more the issue points to the Auto Transfer Switch, which changes the power source from shore cord to genset, or the wiring between the ATS and the load center (where the 120v breakers are located).  That's the critical path for 120v power from shore or genset.

We only get 12v from the invertor not from shore power or generator. WE run the motor to charge the batterys.

That's perfectly logical if the generator/shore power Automatic Transfer Switch has a problem.  If it's not sending power to the inverter/charger, it won't be able to charge the batteries.

Like Gary said, everything you're saying points to a problem with the generator/shore power ATS.  Not with the inverter the repairman wants to replace.

I'd take the motorhome to another repair place and get a second opinion.

msever said:
We only get 12v from the invertor not from shore power or generator. WE run the motor to charge the batterys.
Sorry to be direct.

What kind of an answer are you looking for.  Several people have told you they think the problem is your transfer switch (ATS). 

All your one line, vague replies, get confusing. 

It would really help if you took the time and effort like others have provided, and respond with a 150-300 word review, in detail, just what you have done, what you have measured, etc.  Start with copying all your one line replies and then expand with detail.  I think if you copied all your replies and looked at them in sequence you will find them confusing as well. 

For example in your latest reply you state:
"We only get 12v from the invertor not from shore power or generator. WE run the motor to charge the batterys." 

Well your inverter is directly connected to your house batteries (note: I did not say your engine battery).  If you are getting 12V from the charger side of the inverter then that 12V is going to the house batteries.  So what voltage do you measure, and where did you measure it to say your batteries are not charging from the inverter, but yet you have 12V coming from your inverter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom