50 amp service - keep tripping pedestal circuit breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

On my 2014 Tour, I have a Power Contro Center (PCS).  The manual states that I should be able to have 50 amps onL1 and 50 amps on L2 for a total of 100 amps.  I keep tripping the power pedistolbreaker.  I thought it was a fault in the transfer switch, it was bad, but I replaced it and am still tripping the park power.  It is not the park, this is the 3rd one where I have been having the problem.

What would make it trip?

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved, made subject more descriptive of problem

Does it trip as soon as you turn the pedestal breaker on? Has it just started doing this recently? Sounds like a short in the plug, the line cord or the transfer switch. Does it function on the generator. It could be your inverter/charger. I would start with all Motorhome Power Center breakers off. Then power them on one at a time. Does it trip the pedestal breaker with the RV Power Center breaker off? If not, that clears the plug, line cord and transfer switch.

I just replaced the transfer switch.  It does it intermittently.  I will need to try your other ideas.

Looks like I may not be understanding my unit.  AC 1 and 3 are on L1. It looks like the electric HW is also on L1.  These are putting L1 over50 amps.

schoolsout2 said:
Looks like I may not be understanding my unit.  AC 1 and 3 are on L1. It looks like the electric HW is also on L1.  These are putting L1 over50 amps.
So does the breaker trip when you plug in or after you turn on both a/cs?

The shore power breaker trips after a period of time.  It looks like it can not handle 3 AC's.  L1 looks to be  getting pushed over 50 amps, but I now wonder if it is the cord or plug.

Ouch that was an expensive transfer switch.

If you say L1 is over 50A, that's probably what is tripping it.  Try turning off the water heater and see if it holds.  if so, you may need to put the water heater on the other leg to balance, although Winnie usually engineers that pretty well.  Is your engine heater off?  I leave that on every once in a while and it pulls a good 13A.

PS, I have no issues running all 3 ACs on park 50A, and our wiring is near identical.  If I was in it I would compare loads with you.

On generator, everything is fine.  I ran up to 70 amps with no problems.  I put in a surge protector to give me anew plug into the coach and into the shore power.  I have now run up to 65 amps with no issue.  My thinking is a worn plug.

Mile high, the transfer switch was ad.  Arching

Breakers trip because the amperage exceeds the limit, so that is almost surely what is happening.  What many people do not understand is that the amp limit applies to peak loads, e.g. a brief time at 50A. The breaker can also trip with a sustained load somewhat lower than that, and the sustained (more than 30 minutes) load rating is 80% of peak , i.e. 40A in this case.  If your coach is drawing a steady 40+ amps, chances are the breaker will trip occasionally.

That means that on a hot day with all your a/c units running pretty much non-stop, you may trip the 50A breaker. Certainly likely if you have other appliances running as well.  I know 2x 50A sounds like a lot, but it is not really that much when you begin powering a lot of applainces. Your home power system is probably 200A or more.

FWIW, we have a Progressive Dynamics power monitoring system, and we have no problem running all three of our Tour's roof air units on high when plugged into 50 amp shore power.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
FWIW, we have a Progressive Dynamics power monitoring system, and we have no problem running all three of our Tour's roof air units on high when plugged into 50 amp shore power.
Exactly. When the power demand exceeds the capability of 2x50 amp shore power, the power management system will add some power from the inverter. Here's a thread (it's in our Winnebago and chassis resources thread) that explains the system.

Thank everyone.  I cleanedhe terminals on the shore cord.  We have moved locations and things are working better.  I am thinking I had a combination of things adding up to my problem.

John Canfield said:
Exactly. When the power demand exceeds the capability of 2x50 amp shore power, the power management system will add some power from the inverter. Here's a thread (it's in our Winnebago and chassis resources thread) that explains the system.
Holy buckets, I didn't know they could do that!  Learn something every day.  I wonder if I have the same system as the Tour.

My Bus has the same power system installed and I ran into that same situation a few days ago.  Very hot humid day here in Florida plugged into 50 amp pedestal.  2 AC's running, the DW cooking dinner using the toaster oven, TV on, and I think even the dryer running. We popped a breaker on the pole twice. While investigating I noted that the power control system was shedding loads and the inverter was kicking in about 9 amps. 

A maintenance worker came by and checked the breaker, which was smoking hot. He checked the voltage at the pole which was good on both legs.  He replaced the breaker with a new one, and the problem went away. I think the power management system was working as designed, but the breaker was getting weak.  2 days since and more 90+ degree humid days and no issues. These systems do work exceptionally well.

John Canfield said:
Your coach almost certainly has that capability if you have three roof airs..
I'll have to look into it more.  I have the PCS, 3 airs, 2800W inverter, but unlike the tour 10K gen I only have an 8K.

Sarge, same here.  Hot in LA.  After cleaning the terminals and moving CG things are not tripping.

Yes John things have been working just fine.  Thanks for the help.  I had a mobile tech replace the transfer switch. (Getting to old to squeeze into it). He was trying to tell me that I only would get a total of 50 amps.  I tried to inform him but he did not want to listen.

Back
Top Bottom