Advice on rentals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to say it, but if it is going to be 3 or 4 months before you would have time to use the coach again, there is a good chance you are better off renting vs buying at this point.  Depending on your location, circumstance, etc. the coast of ownership of a motorhome can easily run $200-$400 per month or more, not including any wear based upkeep.  This is only counting things like, insurance, storage fees, registration fees, as well as amatorizing things that age out out batteries, and tires (which need to be changed about every 7 years regadless of miles), if stored outdoors, you would also need to factor in cost of resealing the roof every so often, even if stored indoors there are still such ongoing maintenance costs.

Hi wijames2002,

I rented a class c in the fall 2014 from Cruse America for 8 days. First (very important) be sure you ARE insured for that rental. Don't take it for granted. Same if you test drive an RV at a dealership as I found out that I was NOT insured and could have been liable.

There are a lot of items that you don't get in a rental as they keep them basic. TV was one of them on our rental. Also hard to crawl in and out of the bed in a class c. Bathroom was small and door is a foot away from you when you are sitting on the throne. If you get a class c with a slide out in the bedroom, that will be much nicer and more room.

Cost for us was $170 per day (which included rental $120, fuel, LP, and campgrounds) and we didn't drive very far or the milage cost is a killer. I highly recommend going to dealers (and leave your CC and checkbooks at home) and taking a look at the various Class C's and other RV's to get an idea of space and your needs. Test drive is an excellent idea, but if you buy used, you will have to go over the unit and make sure there are not any problems with the unit before purchase.

Here was my rental road trip if you would care to read for more details:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,77624.0.html

Best wishes and do ask questions here on the forum if you have them!

When we bought ours 16 years ago we were looking at class Cs because my wife thought they would be easier to drive.  Then the salesman showed us the "A" that we eventually bought.  Glad we went for the "A".  We still have the same rig.  DW (now 76 years old)  still drives it.  As long as we are on the freeway she doesn't mind driving.  The motorhome has 111,000 miles on it and has been across the US 15 times.

Isaac-1 said:
I hate to say it, but if it is going to be 3 or 4 months before you would have time to use the coach again, there is a good chance you are better off renting vs buying at this point.  Depending on your location, circumstance, etc. the coast of ownership of a motorhome can easily run $200-$400 per month or more, not including any wear based upkeep.

Agree Isaac. This time next year we?ll have loads of free time and are preparing and planning for that.

The point I was trying to make is renting a few times will give you much more real life info than you can get by just reading and walking through units on a lot.

One other bit of advice if you have any big trips planned, buy well ahead of time to allow time to find the issues with the coach, and take a few short shake down trips

Back
Top Bottom