97 Newmar Mountain Aire qestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super8mm

I am looking at moving from a 5th wheel toy hauler to a Class A Diesel Pusher.

I have found 97 mountain they say is in Very Good condition with 65K miles.

It looks very clean from the pictures but it is only a Cummins 210hp.

Will this be terribly under-powered as I want to tow my GMC 2500 HD behind it.

Does anyone know of anything to watch out for with this model?

Thanks

I have 400hp, and I wouldn't want to pull a 3/4 chev.  But hard to say without knowing the weight to Hp ratio.

Those old Cummins 5.9's with ratings in the 180-220 hp range were pretty anemic, and they often were coupled to 4-speed transmissions rather than 6-speeds.  I think you would be rather disappointed, even without the heavy vehicle in tow. 

A rule of thumb used by motorhome manufacturers is to provide 1 hp per every 100 lbs of coach weight. I'm guessing the MountainAire runs at least 26,000 lbs (GVWR) and the truck would add another 7000 of so.

Thanks guys, I am having a hard time finding any Specs on this 3780.

The site that is selling it has it listed in the pusher section but I found one place selling one that said it was a puller???

It is diesel an diesel gen.

This does sound a bit on the small HP side. it does have air bag suspension and auto levers but the transmission is just listed as a automatic.

I will probably pass on this one and look for 300hp and up for under 40'

We have a 38' 2001 Dutch Star that has the Freightliner chassis with a 300 Hp Caterpillar engine.  I will be putting it up for sale soon but I would not recommend it if you are going to pull a GMC 2500 as the weight of the Mh with stuff is about 26 to 28000# and the added weight of the truck will reduce the weight to Hp to less than 1HP to 100# of vehicle.  I believe you will be disappointed in the performance and fuel mileage with that combination.  I tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee that weighs about 4500# and the western mountains slow us down to around 35mph, mileages is around 8mpg overall but in the mountains it is around 6.

just our experience.

The site that is selling it has it listed in the pusher section but I found one place selling one that said it was a puller???
Back then the Mountainaire was offered as both a front gas chassis and a diesel pusher, so you will see both.

Thanks Gary, I called and checked and it is a pusher,  i just not sure if the cost of getting more output from the engine would be worth the cost as I do like the setup.

If interested in turning up the 5.9, go here:

https://mopar1973man.com/

Contact Mike and ask his advice on it.

Also if thinking about turning it up, ensure the transmission is up to the task of handling the extra torque and horsepower.

Thanks kdbgoat.

I called them back as they have it listed as a 7.5l 210 engine on a Freightliner chasis but I believe it is a 5.9l 210hp.  The lady this morning said they may have a contract on it to let them know so they can verify it with the VIN before someone buys it and finds out that it is not as advertised.  Also the empty weight is 17,700 lbs but is rated at only pulling 5K lbs.

I called Newmar and their stuff showed just a 210 Cummins.

Get the last 6 digits of the VIN and call Freightliner Custom Chassis at 1-800-FTL-HELP (24/7). They can tell you what they built.

https://www.fcccrv.com/owners/

Based on your needs, I personally would not consider it as is and upgrading engine and tranny is not going to be economical. There are others out there - keep shopping.

Thanks Gary, it shows sale pending.

I think what is happening folks from the Houston area are buying them up for temporary housing???

Maybe "turned up" isn't the correct term to use, but they can be modified for more horsepower if you want to get picky.

http://www.dieseltechmag.com/2009/02/horsepower-road-blocks

kdbgoat said:
Maybe "turned up" isn't the correct term to use, but they can be modified for more horsepower if you want to get picky.

http://www.dieseltechmag.com/2009/02/horsepower-road-blocks

I will check your link out for the other one I am looking at, I did look at Banks site but it only went up to 1998 and the other one is a 99.  When I went by there today this one was locked up and a sale pending note on the windshield

[quote dan]
A 97 5.9 cannot be just "turned up",, it is not an electronic engine.>>>Dan

[/quote]

with some of the problems I have had with my duramax not having electronic engine is not a bad thing  :-\

I agree,, my C8.3 12 valve performs beautifully, Rated at 300 when new is now at 330 with minor alterations. No loss of reliability and mileage is a flat 10 MPG weighing in at 26775 towing 4500#.>>>Dan

utahclaimjumper said:
I agree,, my C8.3 12 valve performs beautifully, Rated at 300 when new is now at 330 with minor alterations. No loss of reliability and mileage is a flat 10 MPG weighing in at 26775 towing 4500#.>>>Dan

Thanks utahclaimjumper, good info

Back
Top Bottom