Florida pan handle area and Alabama sites to RV camp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rnjump

Can someone lead me to some RV camp sites for the pan handle area of Florida and Alabama areas of the coast? Are there any parks with a gulf view?  Thanks

Search this forum and search YouTube.  There are some on my to do list but I can't remember their names right now.

Ho Hum RV Park in Carabelle FL. Other than FHU, it's a no frills park, so don't expect any amenities other than you drive straight in to your site and face the gulf. Fabulous view out the front of the coach and very relaxing. No one under 17 is allowed. It's not as far up in the panhandle as Destin or Panama City, but it's also not as expensive.

I  highly recommend topsail campground and also coastline RV    Both in florida.  Topsail is my favorite of all campgrounds.  Has a private beach.  Gulf state park is also nice in gulf shores al. 

Destin area campgrounds that allow you to be right on the beach are in the $100 a night range in the off season. They are, of course, even more in "the season". Just me, but I don't want sand traipsed in to the coach. We stay inland, if we can. I'm well aware that most of Florida has sandy soil.

When we are in the panhandle area we have always enjoyed Arnett's Gulfside Trailrides and RV Park. I think 16 sites, FHU on a small ranch. Close to everything you want to see, from Pensacola to Panama City. Don't miss Fort Pickens at the very western end of Pensacola Beach.

Gulf Rv right on Highway 98 just East of Destin is the only one we found where you can actually stay right on the beach!..if you so want to...(Not for Me)  but it also is quite expensive...and reservations have to be made for long term stays...as mentioned earlier  Top Sail rv park is a viable alternate...

Dance Chick said:
Ho Hum RV Park in Carabelle FL. Other than FHU, it's a no frills park, so don't expect any amenities other than you drive straight in to your site and face the gulf. Fabulous view out the front of the coach and very relaxing. No one under 17 is allowed. It's not as far up in the panhandle as Destin or Panama City, but it's also not as expensive.

Shhhh. I have a hard enough time getting a reservation. All kidding aside, this place has the most laid back group of campers that I have met.

Many campgrounds are located bay side rather than ocean side. However, the hike to the ocean side is usually very short and worth the effort. Ft Pickens  at Pensacola is such a place. Coastline at Eastpoint/Apalachicola faces the bay with St George island in front of it. No beach, just a rock rip-rap shore line and a pier to fish off of, However, an extremely nice park and view. Again, St George is a close drive away.

Attached pics were taken from highway 98 a mile and a half east of Coastline RV park.

I highly recommend Ft Pickens, and if you are a senior with the Interagency senior pass, you don't have to pay the $16 entrance fee (good for a week) and campsites are half price, but its worth it in any case. Be aware, the sites are power/water with a dump station, and showers and restrooms, no sewer. Don't know what kind of rig the OP has, but stay away from loops B and D except in a tent or small popup. Short, small sites with lots of limbs and trees. Ft Pickens now is on Google street view with complete drive thru of the loops (except for B and D (I bet the camera was too tall on the Google car)).

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Coleman Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Koni Red shocks (front & rear), Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror, MB grill conversion.

Attachments

• Aplachicola bay looking at st george is smooth water.jpg
    Aplachicola bay looking at st george is smooth water.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 29
  • Aplachicola bay looking east.jpg
    Aplachicola bay looking east.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Aplachicola bay looking south at st george.jpg
    Aplachicola bay looking south at st george.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Aplachicola bay looking west at st george is causway.jpg
    Aplachicola bay looking west at st george is causway.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 16
I know this thread is some what old, but wanted to do an update and additions.

Ft Pickens was closed after Hurricane Nate and due to damage to the one and only access road into the park, will not be open till early December or later. The NPS has released a prospectus for bids for operation of a Pensacola Bay Ferry Service and would operate from the City of Pensacola, Pensacola Beach, and Fort Pickens. Concession rights for food and beverages on the ferry and at Ft Pickens would also be included. This should be interesting.

No one mentioned Alabama parks and campgrounds, and Gulf State Park is one of the largest, with almost 500 campsites.

Another secret jewel is Dauphin Island on the west side of the Mobile Bay entrance. The campground there is operated by the county but must pay its own way. The campground is an extremely short walk to the beach and to a historic pre civil war fortification.

Charles

No one mentioned Alabama parks and campgrounds, and Gulf State Park is one of the largest, with almost 500 campsites.

Another secret jewel is Dauphin Island on the west side of the Mobile Bay entrance. The campground there is operated by the county but must pay its own way. The campground is an extremely short walk to the beach and to a historic pre civil war fortification.

Charles
[/quote]

I did charles.  You must have overlooked my post.  Gulf State is great.

We stayed in Gulf State park along one of the canals back in August.  Got out of the truck when we got there and there was an alligator about 5 feet from shore just looking at me.  Loved it but was really careful when walking around at night.  We will try staying on the gulf side the next time.

Robin

Peggyy said:

Charles

I did charles.  You must have overlooked my post.  Gulf State is great.

You are correct, sorry, I just kept seeing FL this and FL that.

Charles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom