Another newbie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsy Nurse

I park in camp grounds with full hook-ups. I have read on here that I should not be keeping my tanks open when parked. Should I close them all except for dumping? I thought that was the idea of being at an RV park? Also, there is a button on the wall panel for a water pump??? If I am not using the fresh water tank, do I need this button for anything else? Silly questions I know, but didn't get much of a tour of the Beast when I bought her. My bad for not insisting. As a newbie, without any experience with this sort of thing, I have now learned how to unclog a black water tank, fix a water leak and manage this Beast up and down steep grades while towing (the first time scared the poo out of me). I've been reading and reading these posts and am learning just how much I do not know. Thanks all for sharing on here so that newbies like us can learn without feeling too stupid. It is much appreciated.

No question is silly or dumb. If you don't know the answer then it's not dumb to ask no matter how small it may seem to you.
DO NOT leave your black water tank drain valve open all the time. What happens is the liquids drain out leaving the solids. It sounds like you already had the dreaded poo pyramid and it plugged up your tank. You must keep that valve shut all the time while hooked up even to campground sewage. Let it fill to close to 3/4 full, then dump.
As far as the gray valves, some people will disagree but I leave mine open all the time. A couple of days before I plan on dumping the black tank, I'll shut the gray tank drain valves and let those tanks fill up. Then the day of dumping, open the black tank valve to drain the tank, then shut that valve. Then open your gray tank drain valves to flush out any remaining poo in your sewer pipe/hose. After dumping, it's a good idea to add about 5 gallons of water to your black tank to start the breaking down action of any remaining solids.
As far as your water pump switch, leave it off if you're hooked to campground water. You'll only use the pump when using water from the fresh water tank.

One other thing which may help in the future. Go into your profile and create a signature of yourself telling us a little bit about you similar to my signature.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom