What's your recommendation for a 5th wheel hitch? Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just ordered a 2018 GMC 3500HD, crew cab, SWD, Duramax diesel, with the 5th wheel prep package included.
I'm going to purchase something like a Cardinal 3850RL, 16000# GVRW. 2600# hitch weight.
I have looked at the Anderson aluminum and like the weight of it. But what's do recommend?
Thank you in advance,
Kim

i use  a Curt Q20 why? because over the years i have sold 1000"s of hitches - the pro use use them and if you look at the Ram Ford and GM factory option hitches they are Curt or Reese ( depending on location) not Anderson

besides with the factory package the hitch comes out in 2 pieces

I do not own a FW  ...  yet, but my choice is the Andersen.  Weight is the biggest reason, and it just looks so simple to install, use, and remove.

PLEASE NOTE:  That factory pin wt is for the empty camper.  Your real pin wt will be much closer to 20% of GVWR, or 3200#.

On my first tow vehicle (F-350 SRW) I had a Reese Elite 25000# hitch with the factory puck system. Awesome hitch, but had a single jaw and the least bit unlevel it got in a bind and hard to get it to disengage. Now have a B&W Companion hitch with a different tow vehicle, and this hitch has dual jaws. Never once had an issue getting it to release from the pin. Just my own personal experience. 

I have the Curt A-16 for my 5'er. Love it. Simple. Well made. Works perfect every time. It is the same as the Q-series but for 16000lbs or less. The Q-series is inexpensive but well made.

skeeter

I've used the Andersen Aluminum for 2 summers now and love it. I recommend it without hesitation. It's light and it's easy to install, remove, and store. It does take a little getting used to lining up the ball and socket but with the "funnel" attachment that is now standard I can hit it within an inch or so almost every time.

Don't let the naysayers steer you away from at least investigating the Andersen. 99% of the them have never actually used the hitch (or probably even seen one) - they discount it based on design and material alone. I had two main criteria when researching hitches - light weight and a rail-free bed. There were a couple of close contenders but I came back to the Andersen every time.

I think you will get a bunch of different opinions on hitches, all good opinions too, based on the personal preferences and experiences of each individual. Like Joezeppy said, he had a personal criteria of light weight and no bed rails, and that?s how he narrowed his choices. Me, I didn?t want bed rails either, but I personally like steel. Doesn?t make me right, or mean my hitch is any better than anyone else?s. I also wanted the ability to use a gooseneck trailer, which most of the factory systems allow, irregardless of the brand of hitch. Weight is not an issue for me because I have a tractor with a loader and I can lift it out in one piece, so my criteria was different than someone else. I think it?s going to come down to same question as which tow vehicle is the best, or which motor oil is the best. Fact is they are all pretty good, just depends on if you prefer chocolate, strawberry, or vanilla. Of course, this is only my opinion, and the only person that?s important to is me.  ?

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Aluminum Andersen hitch. So light and so easy to take out

dbFL said:
LOVE LOVE LOVE my Aluminum Andersen hitch. So light and so easy to take out

so is my Curt as i have the factory system all i do is turn 4 little handles - yes its a little heavier but can be taken apart in 2 pieces but i can move it in one piece no problem and ive had 6 back surgeries  but for the once a year i take it out (winter ) its not a big deal and my box is still wide open to put stuff in while the hitch is in,

the andersen takes over the whole bed and i can put my curt in just as fast so it really boils down to preferences as stated before

very interesting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EgAbrX3JCU

I've been storing my Curt A16 hitch on my kingpin. When i want to take it out of the truck i back it up to the trailer, hitch it up, pull the 4 pins, lift the trailer and drive away. It stays out of the way and don't have to lift it out of the bed. To reattach i pull the truck under the hitch centering as close as i can, lower trailer to take weight off hitch and disconnect hitch from kingpin. Then pull forward a little, center hitch in rails and attach pins. I never have to lift it at all.

skeeter

I am looking to get a new truck and the option with the CM flatbed is a 30,000# BW "Turnover ball" hitch.  I can use that for my gooseneck trailers and they have a fifth wheel coupler that goes right into the same square hole.  Looks easy to change out too.

Thanks all for valued opinions. I too have a hydraulic lift in my garage. So no problem when I'm home taking any which out. But when I'm at an RV resort for the winter I want the hitch out so I can haul the Anderson is a plus. I guess I could go an RV dealer and have them hoist it out and store it, but thats a hassle. I'm really warming up to the Anderson.
Thank You,
Kim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom