EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Brits looking for advice on registering an RV in the US.  (Read 223 times)

St3ve0

Brits looking for advice on registering an RV in the US.
« on: September 27, 2017, 01:29:13 AM »
We are a couple of Brits looking to buy a small used RV and tour the USA in 3-6 month trips over a period of several years. I understand we need an address in the US to register the rig and for insurance purposes. Is there anyone who has gone through this process - preferably in the last few years - and can advise how they achieved this?

There seem to be two options: Something like the Escapees mailbox service looks interesting but we're not sure if that's all we need for our purposes, alternatively, another Brit we know has a Montana LCC for his rig. This seems expensive and overly complex for someone who is not resident in the US.

South Dakota seems a good option to register a vehicle having zero sales tax - would we actually have to go there and/or take delivery of the vehicle there?

We have international (UK) drivers licenses and I'm fairly sure we don't need US drivers licenses. I've hired cars in the US without a problem. Any advice on this would be appreciated too.

Thanks

Steve & Emma
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:43:11 AM by St3ve0 »

Dreamsend

• ---
Re: Brits looking for advice on registering an RV in the US.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 05:00:45 AM »
One slight correction, South Dakota has a 4.5 % sales tax rate.  (see below) Still a good deal compared to most states however.  As far as having to take delivery in SD and thereby getting its rate, it depends on the state where you buy the RV.  Most states I think allow you to purchase and then pay tax in the registration state, but not all.  Your RV dealer in the purchase state can tell you what that state's requirements are so you may have to check around.

http://dor.sd.gov/Taxes/Business_Taxes/HB1182.aspx
Linda with kitties Sarah & Samson
2017 Ford F250 Lariat aka Gypsy Rose

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:56:43 AM »
We have international (UK) drivers licenses and I'm fairly sure we don't need US drivers licenses.

One caveat - some states (e.g. California) explicitly do not recognize the international drivers license/permit, but your UK license is still good. So, be sure to bring both.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »
Be aware the each US state sets their own rules for vehicle titles and registration, so the requirements of one state may differ from another. Generally, though, for vehicle documentation the states typically require only a reliable mailing address. It's US driving licenses that have more stringent rules on what constitutes a valid address.

In any case, check the rules for the state where you expect to title & register the RV.

Many visitors to the US buy their southwest RV in Florida at large dealers like LazyDays in Tampa and North Trail in Ft Meyers. The staff in places like that know all the ins & outs of paperwork and insurance for folks like yourself. Further, their selection is huge and their sales staff quite professional. [Those aren't the only ones - just a couple prime examples.]
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network