Roof Caulk choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msw3113

I need to re-caulk seams on our 5th wheel's roof, the first time I've ever attempted.  Previous owner mentioned Dicor, which may be what's on there now.  I have also heard  mention of Geocel Proflex. 

Are they comparable?
Are they interchangeable, in other words can I use one where another has been?
Are there distinct advantages to either?
Which is the proper application for self-leveling vs not self-leveling?

I appreciate any guidance.

msw3113 said:
I need to re-caulk seams on our 5th wheel's roof, the first time I've ever attempted.  Previous owner mentioned Dicor, which may be what's on there now.  I have also heard  mention of Geocel Proflex. 

Are they comparable?
Are they interchangeable, in other words can I use one where another has been?
Are there distinct advantages to either?
Which is the proper application for self-leveling vs not self-leveling?

I appreciate any guidance.

I've always used Dicor but have heard a lot about the other. They're probably the same.

You want the self leveling type on horizontal surfaces like roof seams and the non self leveling on vertical surfaces.

Geocel Proflex is an excellent caulk, but is NOT compatible with EPDM rubber roofs. You probably have EPDM, so stick with the Dicor Lap Sealant for the roof. I prefer Proflex for vertical seams (walls and such). It is also available in a variety of colors as well as clear.

Self-leveling caulk/sealant is used on flat, horizontal surfaces only. It is designed to flow and thus level itself, so it will run down even a modestly slanted surface.

Back
Top Bottom