Jacksonville FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrypowellnc

We are heading to Walt Disney World later this year taking I95 from NC.  The last time I made this trip I made the mistake of staying on I95 through Jacksonville, what a mistake.  I now know that I295 goes around Jacksonville but I'm wondering which route is best, the western loop or the eastern loop.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Happy RVing everyone.

Traffic thru Jax can be hectic at various times of day, so the longer 295 bypass is a less-nerve-wracking route. I think the eastern (beach) side has the least traffic, but it's perhaps not a lot of difference. The western bypass gives access to I-10 and several busy suburbs, so tends to have more traffic. It moves smoothly, though.

My daughter was stationed at Mayport Naval Station and I found that the eastern route could get clogged up at rush hour also.  At off peak times just straight thru on 95 is not that bad.

We always just soldier on through Jax. While I'm not driving, so perhaps less stressful for me, but DH has never said anything about it..

yeah, the never ending construction is always a factor...but I'll say this, the eastern loop with the relatively new 9b spur to the south makes for a nice and more direct route than the western side...but not as direct as straight through of course...

My advice,
1) avoid 7-8ish in the AM and 5-6ish in the PM
2) use either google maps or the Waze app on your smartphone and follow-it.  It seems to give good advice based on real time traffic.  Sometimes it steers me left, sometimes right, sometimes straight

As stated by others, timing is everything. I?ve always gone straight thru after trying the bypasses a couple different times. Either very early, or 10 o?clock AM or so seemed like the magic hour for me.

oh, if you go straight through.... be awake when you get right downtown at the I-10 to I-95 interchage.  Still roadwork going on there, but they have changed up the lanes a bit.  I get screwed up every time because you have to be in the right lane to go left...well actually from one direction at least you can be left or right even though the sign says right lane....or is it left....
I don't know, whatever it is it always strikes me as counter-intuitive....just be awake so you can read the signs..... :eek:

I traveled thru Jacksonville  twice a week for 4 months.  The east route is shorter and normally not a problem.  However you want to avoid rush hour traffic if at all possible.  After 9:00 in the morning but after 10:00 is better.
Traffic seems to start picking up around 3:00 in the afternoon.

boatbuilder said:
My daughter was stationed at Mayport Naval Station and I found that the eastern route could get clogged up at rush hour also.  At off peak times just straight thru on 95 is not that bad.

My wife and I were at a function at Mayport NS, must have been 15-16 years ago. We took the St John's River Ferry to Mayport Landing. There was a rundown looking restaurant on the water that we decided to try. The best shrimp we ever ate. They were Mayport shrimp. I wonder if that restaurant is still there? Can't remember the name of it.

johnandcarol said:
Singletons !  Still there serving local shrimp and seafood.  And still is rundown. Stray cats greet you at the door. Great place.

Worth a days drive from Delaware for some great seafood! Thank you!

The direct I95 route through town isn't just a traffic situation - the highway has unexpected lane shifts and some odd feeders/exits that can be tough on someone unfamiliar with the route.  Either of the 295 bypass routes will be a much lower stress drive, even during heavy traffic periods.

At this time, construction on the eastern route south of JTB (Turner Blvd) causes backups sometimes major so I would take the western bypass.

Back
Top Bottom