Wheel Speed Sensor issue with MB Sprinter's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdasaro

Wheel Speed Sensor Troubles?
Don't you think we should contact MB as a group. This is a real problem for us. We have paid dearly for our MB based MH's but comprise only a small percentage of their Sprinter sales. Winni built these MH's within the guidelines set forth by MB so a band aid remedy should not be acceptable.  I have had two rear wheel sensors replaced under the emissions warranty but my rig looses that protection in March of 18. My right rear went bad @ 21k my left @ 21,500 on my 2013 rig. If everyone who has had a problem in this group and other Sprinter and rv groups would email me their stats or even better if a lawyer would pick up the gambit, with location, year, millage (at time of issue), name and vin, I will compile info and write a letter to MB USA requesting a review of our issue. Together we will have much more clout than individually. 
Stephen  2013 V J 22K, LI. NY.

2014 Thor Siesta on a 2013 MB Sprinter 3500
6 wheel sensors replaced under warranty. Both rear TWICE and both FRONT.
Now as of 1/2018 I have the "Three Stooges" lit up again. (ABS, SKID,WHEEL)
53K miles and was told by the MB Sprinter Shop I would have to pay to get it fixed, $175 to just read the codes.  I see the average cost is $450 each on some of the Sprinter forums.  Screw that. I bought new rear sensors off a seller on eBay but his listing said MB Sprinter 3500 2007+ but guess what?  They don't work as they are magnetic sensors and the 2013 uses electronic type, even though they fit the computer does not like them and they don't work.  They were ~$50 each and the right ones are ~$140 so be warned.  Wrong rear or no sensors will keep the transmission in low gear as the TCM (Trans Control Module) uses one or both for shifting.  I found this out with the wrong sensors installed which makes sense, when driving just before the stooges pop up the transmission will down-shift, ABS will pulse the rear wheel(s) and driving gets squirly for about 20 seconds.

If there is that many MB Sprinters out there that have this problem, Folks need to report them to NHTSA.

I have a 2013 Solera on a Sprinter chassis. Just had my rear speed sensor replaced at a cost of $600. Mine has 31000 mi on it. Two years ago I also had work done on a front speed sensor, but that was under warranty.
If you need a VIN, give me an email address.

I've got nearly 60,000 miles on my 2014 and, so far, no speed sensor problem.  I live in SW Missouri, but I noticed the OP is from NY where salting and sanding the roads in the winter is a daily effort.  I suspect corrosion may be a problem.  Maybe a good under carriage rinse periodically would help.

Speed sensor went out on 2016 MB Sprinter in February 2019.  Front sensor went out on July 7, 2019.  I was told that MB Germany was aware of the problem on Sprinters and are working on solution.  I spoke with MB St Louis Sprinter service and they indicated this was a known problem.  I am contacting MB corporate Customer Service for the second time because this is a huge safety issue in addition to being very expensive.  I've talked to several Sprinter owners who have experienced similar problem.  I'll post any response I get.  Anyone else having this problem. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom