Potential New RV Owner...need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

embalmer

Hi all!  Please repost this if I'm not in the correct thread.....

I am new to RV ownership (I've used and stayed in them but never had my name on the title) and looking at a 1997 Winnebago Adventurer with 80K miles, 460 Ford engine, driver's side full slide, and some other options.  I'm primarily using it as temporary housing until my home remodel is complete (~2 months) and then use it for weekend trips, tailgating, camping, etc.  I have a place to store it indoors when not in use and I'm somewhat handy when I have time to roll up my sleeves.

The owner and I have agreed to split the cost of new tires, he will install a new muffler, and he has already replaced one of the three batteries (the other two will need replaced).

The interior is clean, no odor and all systems work.  I would replace all the roof seals/caulk, possibly a vent fan, and possibly recover the roof to avoid any future headaches and give myself peace of mind.  The exterior needs some cosmetic attention to the gel coat (figured it would go hand in hand with addressing the roof), some exterior compartment doors need tlc, and it looks like some of the caulking around the fenders, some exterior compartments, and some windows needs to be replaced.  There is one leveling jack I need to use a pry bar to return it to it's stowed position.

Some updates/improvements I would do right away are:  Including the roof and caulking/sealing the exterior I would replace the old TVs with flatscreens, upgrade the audio speakers, new mattress, change as many lights as possible to LED (including headlights and exterior lights), change the front curtains and give it a thorough cleaning.

Updates/improvements for later:  Change the upholstery on the couch/dinette fabric and the window dressings, possibly install linoleum flooring, and paint the walls and cabinets.

The reality:  It's a 20 year old motorhome and will have things that wear out or break through regular use.....I'm not trying to restore it to original condition.  I just want it to be livable for a few months and then make other improvements over time.

Are there any other issues I should really pay attention to for this vintage/model? 

What other improvements would you suggest that make a big difference while remaining budget friendly? 

ANY other advice is welcome and appreciated!!  I am going to have a final walk through tomorrow (9/30) and if everything goes well I can drive it away this weekend.

Painting the walls and cabinets, may hurt future sale possibilitys. I know I wouldn't consider one with painted walls or cabinets. I've never seen one yet that I thought had a good job done on them.

Charlie 5320 said:
Painting the walls and cabinets, may hurt future sale possibilitys. I know I wouldn't consider one with painted walls or cabinets. I've never seen one yet that I thought had a good job done on them.

I don't think that would be a issue on a motorhome that's already 20 years old.

Back
Top Bottom