RV door rebuild vs replace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am currently living in an 1988 Fleetwood 5th wheel trailer.  The trailer has had water leaking issues in the past and as a result, the door has serious wood rot.

Doing a rudimentary examine, I determined that door is constructed of wood clad in sheet aluminum and aluminum hardware. The aluminum all appears in good condition, However door is falling apart. The wood that fell off is rotting away and a suspect much more rotting wood.

I see two ways forward, replacing the door, or attempting a rebuild the door.  My idea is that I can disassemble the door and replace the rotted wood with new wood.

My widowed friend has a shop left to her that contains a table saw and other rudimentary wood working equipment.  I am mechanically inclined, but by no means, a wood working expert. As an example, If you were to ask me to construct a 2 X 6 board cut to 47 inches. With on end cut at a 45 degree angle, with the equipment, I fell confidant, I can get it to within an eight of an inch and 3 degrees.

Do you think I could find a door that will fit? How hard would it be to rebuild a trailer door?

The door is already ruined, so what do you have to lose trying to rebuild it?

I rebuilt the side door on my Stacker after hitting a bridge post at low speed. 

Think of it as a learning experience and take your time doing it.

Good Luck.

kdbgoat said:
The door is already ruined, so what do you have to lose trying to rebuild it?

I guess what I am asking could be summed up in two parts.

[list type=decimal]
[*]Are there standard RV door sizes?  Could I reasonably expect top find a replacement door for less than $200?
[*]How hard do you think it would be to rebuild a door?
[/list]

I rebuilt the door on our previous fiver, it is not difficult but does require patience. The biggest trick was carefully removing the hardware and skin without damage so I could reuse them. Once apart use the old pieces as patterns, measure twice or three times then cut. Lay the pieces out on a sturdy table for gluing and assembly, a stapler works well here as screws will easily split the wood. A miter saw which I didn't have would make things easier.

I dont think you will find any door for $200 unless you have a salvage place near by. Look at Craigslist for sale or watch the free ads or you could also post an ad under "Wanted"and give the dimensions and maybe a picture. Cant hurt to try.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blueeyztoo
Back
Top Bottom