Mileage question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

What is the difference in expected mileage between a class A and a Class C motorhome? Also, I'm familiar with the engines used in the Class C homes but any suggestions as to Class A engines to stay away from or exceptionally good?

Thanks

If you are talking gas engines, the A & the C will be the same. Tranny & rear axle gearing may differ a bit, though. The diesels used in the bigger pushers are in an entirely different class.

Typical mileage varies by type of use. Typical weekenders probably run around 3000 or so per year, while those who can manage longer vacations run more like 5000-7000. Snowbirds, long timers and fulltimers are more likely to be in the 6000+ range. The RVIA merely gives 6000/yr as typical for all RVs, but it's not known how they come up with that. I doubt if its more than conjecture, since there is no reporting system nor any regular owner surveys.

I don't think that "expected" vs actual has much value anyway. Wear & tear is wear & tear, whether it is average or above/below average. The real question is whether the one you like is in good condition or not, and odometer mileage is just one of many indicators.  The gas engines designed and built in the past 15-20 years have a very long service life if given even halfway reasonable care.

Engine (chassis) options on nearly all gas motorhomes in the last 30 years are narrowed down to Ford vs. Chevy.  Older versions are Ford 460 and Chevy 454.  Newer versions are Ford V-10 and Chevy 8.1L.  The transition between generations happened around year 2000 I believe, both are reliable for their eras so it all depends on what you're looking for.

AStravelers said:
Or are you asking about gas mileage?  7-8.5 is about right for both.

Just curious, say we're talking about a Ford F450, is there a significant difference in MPG if it's a tow vehicle as opposed to a class C chassis?
(Assuming the trailer was somewhat comparable in size/accommodations...not talking a pop-up or R-pod, or a mega fifth wheel.)

It would be similar, except an F-450 truck would be diesel... which would have a higher tow rating and better fuel mileage (maybe 10-12mpg towing) than a Class C motorhome.  Which as an equivalent might be in an E-450 gas van chassis.  But you've got the right idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom