Power shutting down without tripping breakers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workingtorv

Plugged into 50 amps but after some time power shuts down however does not trip any breaker.

Does anybody have ideas of what it could be?

Thanks in advance

Comes back on by itself?
How long do you have to wait? 
Are you under a load, like both air conditioners and then turn on the microwave?

When you have a good load going for 20-30 minutes, feel if your plug going into the shore power is hot.  Also feel the plate/cover around the plug and circuit breakers to see if they are hot.  "Hot" being too hot to hold with your fingertips for more than about 1-2 seconds.  If you can touch it for 10-15 seconds before really wanting to take your hand off they may not be bad, depending on how big a load you have going and the outside temp.

Do you have a Progressive Surge Protector?  I have one and if you get power below 104 volts, it will shut off not allowing power to enter the RV. It will also shut down if the voltage goes above 132 volts.

AStravelers said:
Comes back on by itself?
How long do you have to wait? 
Are you under a load, like both air conditioners and then turn on the microwave?

When you have a good load going for 20-30 minutes, feel if your plug going into the shore power is hot.  Also feel the plate/cover around the plug and circuit breakers to see if they are hot.  "Hot" being too hot to hold with your fingertips for more than about 1-2 seconds.  If you can touch it for 10-15 seconds before really wanting to take your hand off they may not be bad, depending on how big a load you have going and the outside temp.

Thanks very much.

only hot water and rv fridge  no ac running.

No it does not come back on by itself.

Put surge protector on after a couple of instances, so happens with or without surge protector.

Will feel the location for too hot and let you know.

Thanks

workingtorv said:
Thanks very much.

only hot water and rv fridge  no ac running.

No it does not come back on by itself.

Put surge protector on after a couple of instances, so happens with or without surge protector.

Will feel the location for too hot and let you know.

Thanks
To be sure we are working on the right problem, what tells you the power is off?  The lights go off, or is it something like the TV going off?  Lights going off is probably your 12V system.  TV going off is your 120V system. 

Since it doesn't come back on by it self, what do you do to get power back on?

Like AStravelers asked....What do you have to do to get power to come back on?

Are you at an RV park? 

Anybody else having a similar problem?

Two things that have caused that on my RVs.

1: Park lost power. but when that happened it eventually returned on what fo me is "it's own".

2: Bad connection.. I had a wire come loose in my 50 amp plug. I only lost one leg  but .. Well I fixed it. (new plug was actually overkill.. I kept the old one as a spare)

Oh, almost forgot, back when the rig was new I had a bunch of scews loose

One was on the power inlet
Several in the breaker box

And another RVer. the outlet end of his 50 amp cord.. Had six screws loose (there are only six inside it ) dang outlet (That is the part that plugs into the inlet on the side or rear of your RV) fell off in my hand..  Serious safety hazard that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom