What do you do to keep in shape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

I thought about doing this thread after reading a post about how much strength it takes to RV.  Over the past 4 years, I've lost a lot of strength and Arthritis has taken it's toll on my hands.  However, as painful as my hands are in the morning, if I use them, the pain becomes manageable.  I believe that is true in general.  Example, 4 years ago, I finished a major landscaping project in our front yard.  No small task.  Going from grass to drought tolerant plants and lots of gravel.  I actually began the project thinking it would be a place to store a motorhome if/when I bought one.  While I could likely park our motorhome in the area, the law and my concern that the neighbors may not appreciate the big bus in front of the yard convinced me that it was best to leave the yard as a yard and not parking area.  As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.  To put things in perspective, my lot is pie shaped.  The front yard is about 100 feet wide.  The area where I originally planned to park the motorhome is about 35 feet long. 

Attachments

• When we had grass.jpeg
    When we had grass.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 71
  • After stump removal.JPG
    After stump removal.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Work, lots of work.JPG
    Work, lots of work.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 58
  • RV parking.JPG
    RV parking.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Almost Done.JPG
    Almost Done.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Office Side from Sidewalk Corner #2.JPG
    Office Side from Sidewalk Corner #2.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Big Red and Yard before.JPG
    Big Red and Yard before.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 67
    Helping wife maintain 2+ acres of yard with (too many) flower beds, 50x100 garden( though we didn't do it this year), upgrading sprinkler system, added new pole barn( spreading some sand/gravel with rake) trenching and running power to/and building shelving in Pole barn, maintaining RV's,boats, automobiles, 4 wheelers/UTV's, tractor. Wife and I will spend 2+ weeks on mountain, elk hunting. Soon will have chickens to go along with the honeybees that we've had for several years! Need to do a bunch of fencing. Other than that....things are pretty slow here!

To directly answer the Subject line, that is, what do I specifically do to keep in shape, I ride a bicycle. I like to get in 3 miles or more every day or two, though it doesn't always work out that way.

But there are other things that help, yet are not undertaken to keep in shape. Yard work, of course, and some Boy Scout stuff, some of which has me walking and some of which has me carrying some boxes and such. Occasional projects around the house add to it, and loading the motorhome for a trip gets some exercise, too.

Memtb said:
    Helping wife maintain 2+ acres of yard with (too many) flower beds, 50x100 garden( though we didn't do it this year), upgrading sprinkler system, added new pole barn( spreading some sand/gravel with rake) trenching and running power to/and building shelving in Pole barn, maintaining RV's,boats, automobiles, 4 wheelers/UTV's, tractor. Wife and I will spend 2+ weeks on mountain, elk hunting. Soon will have chickens to go along with the honeybees that we've had for several years! Need to do a bunch of fencing. Other than that....things are pretty slow here!

Ouch.  When do you have time for RVing.  I'm going to have to rethink my plan to sell, relocate and buy a place with an acre or more. 

Larry, we took the bikes on our last outing.  Were gone for almost a month.  The only exercise was putting the bikes on the rack when we left and then taking them off when we got home.    :-[   

Al, good for you.  For years we tried to hike on a regular basis.  But over the past few years, we have fallen into a rut.  In spite of our good intentions, there always seems to be something that gets in the way.  It's probably the best form of exercise and requires nothing more than time. 

My favorite Energizer Bunny (aka Jerry) still walks 3-4 miles every day.  He started running about 50 years ago and quit that when his knees started hurting.  So then he started walking about 30 years ago.  He's so healthy he takes no medications and seldom even takes an aspirin.  Oh yes, he celebrated his 81st birthday last spring.

ArdraF

I don't call it a hike because that involves planning and preparation; direction, duration,supplies, etc, etc. I just step outside and keep stepping in a way that will avoid sun in my eyes, wind in my face, or mud on my shoes.
When I get thirsty I retrace my steps to find DW has finished her first coffee and is thinking about breakfast  :)

ArdraF said:
My favorite Energizer Bunny (aka Jerry) still walks 3-4 miles every day.  He started running about 50 years ago and quit that when his knees started hurting.  So then he started walking about 30 years ago.  He's so healthy he takes no medications and seldom even takes an aspirin.  Oh yes, he celebrated his 81st birthday last spring.

ArdraF

Energizer Bunny is a great nickname for Jerry.  We've all tried, and failed, to keep up with Jerry over the years.  I wouldn't even try today.  ;D

Gary, We "overdid" the yard a bit! We both used to work out a bit, treadmill, weights, cycling, etc., but we've been really lax the past couple of years. Hoping to slowly get back into getting fit. We're both pretty active....just no regimented workouts.

garyb1st said:
Larry, we took the bikes on our last outing.  Were gone for almost a month.  The only exercise was putting the bikes on the rack when we left and then taking them off when we got home.    :-[ 

I rarely take my bike RVing any more -- too often the roads are too hilly (state parks) or are gravel surfaces, which are difficult for me to ride on these days. But I enjoy it when I'm home.

garyb1st said:
I thought about doing this thread after reading a post about how much strength it takes to RV.  Over the past 4 years, I've lost a lot of strength and Arthritis has taken it's toll on my hands.  However, as painful as my hands are in the morning, if I use them, the pain becomes manageable. 

Very good question Gary, and I am in the same boat. I was a construction worker for years, pouring cement, doing a lot of shovel work, and long days of pick and sledge hammer.  Even after I was years into my LEO career I was still doing the work. As a result, I too have some significant arthritis in both hands and my low back and neck. 

The best medicine I have discovered is activity. While aerobic activity is important for heart rate and blood pressure, weight bearing exercises are critical for joint health and bone density.  While I do take a supplement of Gloucosimine daily to help with joint flexibility, I  also do a weight routine every other day, 3 days a week.

Since I travel in an RV full time, I use lighter weights and an exercise ball for my workouts. I can do them inside or outside the RV, or in the occasional workout room in a RV park (like where I am at now).  The exercise  ball is for sit ups (low back issues make it difficult to lay on the floor and do them) and the hand weights are used in a variety of arm, shoulder, and chest exercises. The key really isn't the amount of weight, but more the reps and doing them regularly. The days I don't lift, I do aerobic exercise like walking or the occasional jog.

Since I have been doing them regularly my physical issues have reduced 90%. When I lay off because I get distracted with other projects, my aches and pains start to reappear.  Diane is the same way, and we always look forward to getting back to our routine. 

And for what it's worth, our usual routine is getting up and having coffee while we check the morning mail, then doing the days exercise for 30 to 60 minutes. Then breakfast and whatever the day's plans are.

The work on your place looks great, but projects always come to an end at some time.  The routine I have set up is kinda like the commercial business "Curves".  It's not about doing crazy weights or extreme aerobic moves.  It's just sensible structured strength training/stretching moves done in a simple routine.  You would feel a whole lot better after each workout.

We have a Silver Sneakers Card for gyms all over the country so we go there and follow a sequence of treadmills, weights and what not depending on the facility.  At home we try to go every other day.  On the road, it's more difficult to keep the regularity but we try or go for walks like Jerry.  A few times/week we try to play golf and if the weather cooperates, we walk the course.  Interval training with a HR monitor is getting a lot of press these days since it seems to be much more effective.

we walk 2 miles minimum everyday, ride our bikes and hike as much as possible. we full time so we try to find campgrounds that are near state parks or nature areas that have good hiking. if we stay somewhere for only a few days we will go to a state park- long term we will find a large campground to get our miles in
we are in our early 50's and know that we need to stay on top of our health so we can do this for years to come. we really enjoy hiking- we did a neat one at Sleeping Bear Dunes yesterday.
we also know that what we eat is equally important to maintain good health so we only eat out a few times a month, my DW cooks all our meals.

Our park has a large heated pool and, believe it or not, we've found a number of similar parks around the country. I spend an hour to an hour and a half walk/swimming in five feet of water every day. I really feel it when I'm somewhere without a pool. Note that I'm 75 with (nearly?) every chronic disease known to man.

Ernie

Water is a great medium for arthritic folks.

Gary, I'm in total agreement with Sarge here. While arobic exercise is important, so is resistance training. Here's a suggestion for full timers or someone on a long outing. Look into "exercise bands"(kinda like a large rubber band with handles). There are many different exercise regimens that can be accomplished with them. They weigh very little and require very little room to store.

Memtb said:
      Gary, I'm in total agreement with Sarge here. While arobic exercise is important, so is resistance training. Here's a suggestion for full timers or someone on a long outing. Look into "exercise bands"(kinda like a large rubber band with handles). There are many different exercise regimens that can be accomplished with them. They weigh very little and require very little room to store.

Exactly. And it doesn't take a lot of weight to recognize the benefit. A 2-5 pound weight lifted 8 - 10 times (repetitions) every few days 2 weeks will do a world of good. And as you start to get stronger you can increase the reps or bump the weight to make it challenging. 

Here is a good Web MD article that discusses it.  http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/news/20090708/strength-training-is-good-for-seniors

Totally agree with Sarge and Memtb.  I worked with weights until my late 40's.  Never been a swimmer and running results in shin splints before I break a sweat.  Modern gyms where you need to take a number to use a machine don't appeal to me.  That and the fact they're usually pretty far from the areas we camp in.  So since I bought the house and met Maria, it's pretty much hike and bike.  Since we've had the RV, it's less and less hike and bike.  That's just not working and my body is letting me know. 

Hiking is a wonderful exercise.  It's just not much of an aerobic benefit unless your walking at a pretty good pace or walking in the hills.  That's my favorite when it's not in the 90's or my knees are cooperating.  Bicycling is also great exercise.  But again, stop and go on city streets that are pretty flat, doesn't produce the benefit of peddling up a hill. 

On our last trip we met a guy that literally carried a piece of exercise equipment in the back of his pickup.  Maria wanted to buy something similar we saw recently but I wasn't sure we'd be able to get it in the motorhome. 

Back
Top Bottom