What do you do to keep in shape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After two spills on the bike this past year, I think we are finally leaving the bikes up north before heading south shortly. I play pickleball as much as I can and absolutely love the game. Over two years now, but while its great exercise I think I should supplement it with extensive walking. Hoping to get my wife out walking more often. Seems the more I walk the better my arthritic hip feels.

Agree with whomever mentioned resistance bands. Loss of muscle mass as we age can be significant regardless of how much cardio one does.

John Beard said:
Stretching and walking, and Jeeping.

Jeeping?  Had to think about it for a bit, but I think I know what John means.  If you ever tried to get into a Jeep that doesn't have running boards you'll know what I'm talking about. 

Your lawn looks great Gary. The sad thing is, you could probably have purchased a new Prevost if you didn't have to pay so much in So Cal water rates keeping it green. ;)

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Your lawn looks great Gary. The sad thing is, you could probably have purchased a new Prevost if you didn't have to pay so much in So Cal water rates keeping it green. ;)

Kev

It was beautiful for the first year.  Then year after year, we had less green and more brown.  At some point, we ended up watering dirt.  So we took advantage of the California water reduction program.  They paid $1.50 a sf for removing the sod.  I got a check for $3,000 that partly offset the $4,000 in materials used in the project.  My next project is the back yard.  Thought I was good to go the last time I added another line of sprinklers and re-soded the yard.  Twice in 5 years.  Now it's almost all dirt.  Low maintenance but not very attractive. 

I am in shape.  Round is a shape.

I get my exercise jumping to conclusions, dodging responsibility, pushing my luck, stretching the truth, walking all over people, and running off at the mouth.

All seriousness aside, I have a pushup/pullup/situp routine supplemented with some elastic bands.  Ride a bike.  Fishing.
I occasionally use free weights if there is a particular problem spot I am trying to work through.

I do not carry the free weights in the rig.  Too much weight.  I do carry the elastic bands.

I race MX every week....4 class's..  8 races plus practice.....  Keeps me in decent shape !!

Bob

Attachments

• byron 2017 1609.JPG
    byron 2017 1609.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 24
  • byron 2017 1485.JPG
    byron 2017 1485.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 20
  • byron 2017 128.JPG
    byron 2017 128.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 20
hedhunter9 said:
I race MX every week....4 class's..  8 races plus practice.....  Keeps me in decent shape !!

Bob

I am truly envious! Raced... Hare Scrambles, Short Track, and played a little on mx tracks, many years ago. Miss it greatly.

Gary, I certainly don't mean to hog the post ... but this morning, I had an epiphany  (word of the day)! Though an immediate negative for this, is a larger RV is needed. One of the recliners or something similar could be removed, and in it's place put (just an example) a Schwinn Airdyne. In our 5er it would fit where we put a chest freezer, which we're not going to get rid of  ;)!  I measured our Airdyne, it's only 48" long and easily movable! For those folks, who, for whatever reason cannot use a bike outside,this offers a good arobic exercise. As a plus, for those with a knee or leg issues, they can use "only" the handles (it has a footrest). You can still get the arobic benefits, and also upper body toning!

Great idea Todd. Having your workout gear with you and accessible makes it much more likely that you will stick with it.

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 26
Todd, we took out the recliner and put a cat condo in it's place.  After we make sure the cats are comfortable, we take care of ourselves.  Hasn't always been that way, but WE learned.  ;D

Sarge, that is a pretty neat set-up. I'm sure that somewhere in our basement, we could put a little equipment.....maybe  ???  !

Thanks, that space was originally intended for a pull out freezer, which I have no use for. After a little thought I realized that pull out slide was perfect for the workout stuff. Diane's weights fit in nicely as well. The slide tray has a 200# full extension weight capacity. 

Bringing this to the top of the page again! My wife found this a few minutes ago, and thought that I?d share. We haven?t gone through it completely... may be a disappointment.

TheFitRV.com

Raymonda would tell people about her exercise program:
Strolling---down memory lane
running---off at the mouth
jumping---to conclusions
pushing your luck

2 push ups--- putting on her bra.

I hope God is enjoying her.
Bill Dane
99 Country Coach

Memtb said:
    Bringing this to the top of the page again! My wife found this a few minutes ago, and thought that I?d share. We haven?t gone through it completely... may be a disappointment.

TheFitRV.com
This site looks good. As I'm heading home soon I might use it to get fit for next year's trip! Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom