Water heater issue need help asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello all,

I have a 1986 Coachmen Class A 36' 30amp Motorhome. Yesterday I removed the RV ammonia refrigerator because it never worked, never worked since I bought it, after I took the fridge out, the next day (today sept 30 2017) the water heater stopped working. I flipped the switch today and nothing happened, the light isn't on, and the pilot won't click.

Tested the circuit at the switch and it ohms out for both the light power and switch power. I went to the heater panel outside and have not been able to get any voltage reading from anything.  I'm not sure what else to check. Any feedback would be helpful.
P.S.
I detached the wires from the thermostat and 2 out of 4 we're extremely rusted through and just crumbled off.

I would say that you lost the 12vdc controls to the water heater check the fuses in the main panel they should be labeled.

Checked fuses and breakers, nothing is labeled for the water heater, no inline fuse on the heater wire assembly either :/

On an 86 vinyage RV it is highly likely the WH is manual and gas only.  Do you have gas, are the  line purged?  What did your do or how did you blank off the gas line for the refer?  It sounds like your reacting without knowing how systems work.  If you started the refer and expected it to be cold a hour later, that is not how RV refers work.  They take 24 hours to properly cool.

I've had the RV and lived in it for over a year now. The refrigerator never worked, and was told it was leaking ammonia by the previous owners. The WH is an LP model with an electric pilot start switch. The switch has an LED light indicator that lights up when it is in the on position, that is no longer turning on. The bulb on the switch is fine. The switch is not getting any electricity. My multi meter is showing absolutely no electrical load on any of the wires connected to the switch or the thermostat or the e.c.o. I've done plenty of research and never start a project or repair without doing so. I'm thankful for your input.

You will need to start at the water heater and follow the wires and try to find out where they get power.  There should be a box or enclosure on the heater that may have a fuse in it.

Makes and models of the offending appliances would do wonders in helping us to help you!!!

Gee. my problem was my Water heater got religion (Became Holey) dozens of tiny leaks totaling one big leak

Monday I spent the day replacing the tank.. Did not replace anything but the tank and the element (New element is smaller 375 watts instead of 1500. easier on 30 amp sites still works)

Now I'm back in hot water again
Hot water is now my friend
Nice to shave or shower
In the rig again
I'm back in hot water again.

Ok, folks could not resist that.

To the OP  If the wires are rusted off ... There is a connrction likely atop the weater heater.. You will need to replace the harness from that point to the control board.

It's a suburban water heater. And I've traced the lines, out of the water heater wiring harness into the Motorhome and there are 2 wires that trail off going to the converter. A white wire and orange wire, I found them at the converter and they get power at the fuse. I haven't been able.to get to the wires in between the kitchen and bedroom due to the bathroom being very cluttered in terms of design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom