Anyone Notice Private Parties Asking More than Dealers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It doesent matter whats being sold or by whom,, the seller can price it where ever he wishes and the buyer can walk away if he wishes.. No reason to get upset at the price when you have this option.>>>Dan  ( When the price is posted, it does not mean thats what it's worth,, it just means thats what the seller wants for it)

SargeW said:
I see a lot of rigs priced based on what the owner owes. Problem is many owners purchased with the minimum down, and when they decide to sell they owe way more than the current market value. I can sympathize, but the first rule of RV ownership is that they are lousy investments. Buy it for the fun of the RV experience and lifestyle, but not for the expectation of getting your money out of it.

X2

They sure don't  warranty any older coachs.

When I bought my Beaver, the dealer included a 30 day warranty on everything working. They had to fix a few things before that 30 days was up.

I always thought of retail meaning that you bought it from a dealer and you should expect a discount at a private party.

I thought retail meant that it was not wholesale (what the dealer will allow for your trade-in, or will pay to purchase a unit).

Everyone believes their stuff is gold plated:  I certainly do.  All my "collectibles" are the only one I've seen (because I'm not looking) and I want every penny I can get.

The buyer wants it for free.  The seller wants a fortune.  That is capitalism.  I'm not your friend and you aren't going to pay my bills.

Be informed and make the deal you can live with whether from a dealer or private.  The only person  you have to make happy is YOU (unless you are the husband, then you have to make Her happy).

If you want some eye opening experiences, start looking at used late model trucks and compare to new.

PS.  New dealers take trades in order to sell new.  They want the used off their lot so then can sell new.  They are in business and have to have cash flow.  Private parties can leave it parked and wait.

Drifterrider said:
If you want some eye opening experiences, start looking at used late model trucks and compare to new.

PS.  New dealers take trades in order to sell new.  They want the used off their lot so then can sell new.  They are in business and have to have cash flow.  Private parties can leave it parked and wait.

Actually dealers often make more on trades they took in than the new models on their lot. The new model has a firm price that they have to pay the manufacturer. Along with monthly interest, unless they bought it outright from them.

The trade is often taken in on a low ball price allowing them a lot of leeway to adjust the price.

When I sold my nearly 10 year old Dodge Ram diesel 2500 about 6 months ago, I nearly got what I paid for it new. Granted it was low miles and pristine condition, but it never even made the "For Sale" sites. A neighbor's friend bought it sight unseen. Then he came over and looked at it, he never even drove it and handed me a check.  I guess I sold it cheap, but I got what I thought was a fair price. He was elated. The price of new trucks is through the roof, and Ford just came out with one that is over $100K. For a pickup truck!  So yeah, the vehicle is worth what the market will bear. 

SargeW said:
The price of new trucks is through the roof, and Ford just came out with one that is over $100K. For a pickup truck!  So yeah, the vehicle is worth what the market will bear.

$80k to $100k might be the normal price range for a new American made truck.

I watched a road test on TV about the new 2018 Nissan Armada, they said the price as tested was  $ 65,000.00... for essentially a Datsun  ???

SargeW said:
The price of new trucks is through the roof

Which as you noted has rippled through the used market. When I was recently in the market for a solid, older 1/2 ton, 4WD, I found they couldn?t be had for less than Kelly trade-in plus at least $3K, and most of these trucks had over 200K miles on them (one had well over $300K!). And many were pretty rough.

Yeah, my Ram had 28,000 miles on it! Just drove it when we were not on the road in the RV, then put it in the garage and closed it up. I changed the oil on it once, and it looked like I could have put it back in the bottle.......

SargeW said:
Yeah, my Ram had 28,000 miles on it! Just drove it when we were not on the road in the RV, then put it in the garage and closed it up. I changed the oil on it once, and it looked like I could have put it back in the bottle.......
Same with my F350 dually.  It was 2 years old with 11,000 miles on it and I asked 5k under MSRP and it sold within days.  I paid 4K less than that for it new off the lot.  Incredible.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom