How heavy a safe can you have in a Class C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e6fan12345

Hello everyone, I plan on getting a class C in the near future, and I was just wondering how heavy of a safe can you have in an average Class C RV without it causing any problems, like with more weight on one side of the RV than the other, or something similar like that. The safe I want to get for the RV would be between 300 and 400 lbs, and I plan on bolting it down in the RV, as well.

That is a lot of weight in one small space for an RV, I'd ask the manufacter about that. Maybe they could set a spot over a frame rail to handle it.

No different than 400 lbs of anything else, and few C's have enough weight capacity to begin with. Unless you are talking a super-C (medium duty truck chassis), C;''s are built on a van cutaway chassis and the biggest now avail;able has a max load (GVWR) of 14,500 lbs. A 31 foot coach weighs most of that.

Where would you find enough vacant sq ft to bolt down a 400 lb safe? And what to bolt it to? A plywood floor doesn't do a lot to keep a safe in place if the thief is determined.

Another thought, that much weight can break free and become a deadly missle if you are involved in a collision.
A fellow I knew became a victim of that when his Snap-On tool chest broke free in his mobile service van in a wreck, and came foward and crushed him, and they were "held" by grade 8 bolts.

Thank you everyone for your responses and help. I thought perhaps that size a safe would be a problem for a Class C, but I wanted to ask people who have and know a lot about RVs to make sure.

Rather than a safe too heavy to steal , why not a light-weight hidden compartment that no one can find? No, don't tell us where  ;)

Back
Top Bottom