EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: US Public campgrounds/parks going to be privatized?  (Read 1350 times)

jsetti

• ---
  • Tranquility On the Move IV
Re: US Public campgrounds/parks going to be privatized?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 09:30:47 AM »
I don't remember where I read it but Death Valley National Park is not opening a number of their campgrounds this year because they do not have the staff to clean the restrooms.  So in this case the choice may be 1) don't open campgrounds at all or 2) turn them over to concessionaires.

The National Park Service also has something in the area of $11 Billion in deferred maintenance (not all in campgrounds) some of which could be done through a concessionaire contract.

One other downside in additional to increased fees is it might eliminate a lot of volunteer positions for campground hosts.
Jean Corsetti
Full-Timer with DH Steve and
Fur Babies Annie & Max
2010 Monaco Diplomat 42SKQ

FLMikeG

• ---
  • Naturenaut. Rockhound. Fossil Hunter. Nomad.
Re: US Public campgrounds/parks going to be privatized?
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 07:18:45 PM »
People can say what they like about government waste and bureaucracy, but I strongly prefer public campgrounds. Privatizing will lead to profiteering over quality of service - almost every time.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. (and in my opinion and experience, the public campgrounds I have stayed at were mostly good and I have few complaints).

2000 Ford F-150 Supercab XLT, V8
1983 Sunline 16' Custom Caravan

Hosted by Over The Network