Eastern Sierras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan de La Mesa

This year we repeated most of a California trip we made last year, stopping at some of the same places as before. Two of the campgrounds are so spectacular that I wanted to mention them again.

We went up I-15 and US395 from San Diego, stopping first at a rustic campground in the Owens Valley, Tuttle Creek. https://www.campendium.com/tuttle-creek-campground
There are vault facilities and potable water at maybe half a dozen spigots. Prices have gone up to $8 a night this year, $4 with the Senior Pass. 83 sites, mostly vacant, beautiful mountain vistas both east and west, large spaces at considerable distance from each other and a fast-running creek.

Our other repeat campground was just outside Yosemite, Lower Lee Vining campground. https://www.monocounty.org/listing/lower-lee-vining-campground/1329/
Fairly dense aspen and pine forest with its own large stream. Again, the spaces are generous and fairly distant from each other. While Tuttle Creek is more a boulder and desert campground, Lower Lee Vining is a forest setting with interesting trails. $14/night or $7 with the Senior Pass. Vault toilets, NO water.

Thanks for the report.

Being a fisherman, I'm partial to Browns Owens River Campground, alongside the Upper Owens River. From Hwy 395, turn at the small green-painted church a few miles south of the Mammoth airport, drive 7 miles and the road crosses the Upper Owens; The campground is on your right. Back in the 80's this was boondocking, but capitalism took over.

try fly fishing the stream just below the fish hatchery.... some monsters have escaped over the years.....

Arch Hoagland said:
What are "vault facilities" ?
See Tom's video.

Vault Facilities are the upgraded toilet facilities the NF, BLM and others started installing about 30 years ago to replace the old wooden outhouses.  The vault is a concrete toilet structure built over a concrete waste holding tank.  Much nicer than the old wooden outhouses. 

[quote author=Mauleman]there's one just south of Mammoth on 395 on the owens... close to the airport...
[/quote]

Thanks! I'll check it out next time we're in that area.

Mauleman said:
  there's one just south of Mammoth on 395 on the owens... close to the airport...
This is Close to Mammoth Hot Creek where a bit of True Grit was filmed. Good catch and release apparently...

Back
Top Bottom