Pet Pee ve!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john owens

Anybody have a reied and true method to dissuade our little guys from peeing all over the place?? We try and keep an eye on them but somehow someway they slip thru the cracks and leave wet spots. I have tried pet shampoo's and have added vinegar to the mix but it doesn't seem to faze them. Male and female (older) weiner dogs. love em but strongly dislike them at times...HELP??? :'(

The only thing that gets the smell out is an enzyme treatment. I think the one we have is called Nature's Own. However if the rune has sunk into the subflooring, it may be impossible to get it out. To train a dog you have to be strict. Water, walk, repeat every two hours. It is much harder to do with an adult dog than a puppy. Good luck.

My shi-tzu cross does that too, she wasn't properly trained as a pup. Do you have  regular exercise times? I try to take her out frequently to reduce in house incidents.

My DW is in charge of our three musketeers but I know her basic thing is lots of trips outside and sometimes treats after doing good. If I take them out and they go I praise them with "good girl" and a little petting and affection.

We try and take them out whenever they start walking around after snoozing which they do a lot. They love there treats..which is funny as heck because they love GREENBEANS!! go figure. They even expect treats after they have done their deed in the house...What Nerve!!!  Also we live in a hot climate so they don't like it outside much...sigh.....

john owens said:
We try and take them out whenever they start walking around after snoozing which they do a lot. They love there treats..which is funny as heck because they love GREENBEANS!! go figure. They even expect treats after they have done their deed in the house...What Nerve!!!  Also we live in a hot climate so they don't like it outside much...sigh.....

Our dogs love green beans too. They get a little oatmeal mixed with food in the AM and a little GB at night.

They sell Belly bands for boys.  Girls would Have to wear piddle panties.  Or try tiny boys underwear with the tail going through the fly.  Might discourage them going inside. 

Is this new behavior?  Can you limit their access with a baby gate?

john owens said:
We try and take them out whenever they start walking around after snoozing which they do a lot.

Same thing we do.  If one dog gets up we take all the dogs out for potty time.

Is this a new behavior? Depending on how old, they may not be able to wait as long to relieve thenselves. Also could be some incontinence if the wet spot is where they were sleeping. Extra walks, throw rugs or towels to cover the floor and maybe confine them to a smaller area with an x-pen? A visit to the vet to rule out a medical issue? Just a few thoughts.  Good luck!

Thanks Guys and Dolls for input. If anybody else has Daushehounds (sp) and especially boys you have a personality disorder. Elvis is spoiled rotten and he is a handful when we leave him alone. We got the female (older) named Polly and she is pretty docile. Yet she will follow suit and pee next to his spot. Most of this goes on at home. We have the bedroom sliding door closed in the Winnebago. There messes on the linoleum isn't a big deal, This has been going on for a few years now. The little German will do what he wants when he wants. He is too cute to paddle and I have given that up long ago. I just thought there was some magic dust..like hot pepper powder that would make them think twice about doing the evil deed.....

I think dachshunds may be harder to train than some other dogs.  I heard that somewhere.

If he is the instigator,it might help to use the belly bands.  Peeing in that might be unpleasant to him.  Just wrapping up the Wieners wiener,as it were.

Oh,if only there was a magical solution.

Roy M said:
My shi-tzu cross does that too, she wasn't properly trained as a pup. Do you have  regular exercise times? I try to take her out frequently to reduce in house incidents.

We have had two Shi-Tzus, the first one went 17 years and trained in about two months.  The second is now only 6 months old and just about completely house trained but it took a lot of 2 am, 4 am and even earlier walks to train her.  We now can pretty much make it from 10 pm to 5 am and hope to get it even better. The key is to make them LIKE to go outside and realize that outside is the best place to go.  To do this frequent trips outside is the only way and keeps their tank dry.  Eventually their bladder is able to hold more and more.  In the meantime use pads near the doorway and other places they like.  Eventually remove all but the door pad and then all pads.  Believe me, if they get to like the pads initially it saves a lot of cleanup but expect accidents.  JMHO.

Bill

UTTransplant said:
The only thing that gets the smell out is an enzyme treatment. I think the one we have is called Nature's Own. However if the rune has sunk into the subflooring, it may be impossible to get it out. To train a dog you have to be strict. Water, walk, repeat every two hours. It is much harder to do with an adult dog than a puppy. Good luck.

I agree an enzyme product is likely the only way to eliminate any pet urine odor and only if limited to the carpet itself.  Nature's Own is a good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom