EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 1996 American Eagle - No power to front air  (Read 147 times)

ctjahn

• ---
1996 American Eagle - No power to front air
« on: October 02, 2017, 07:53:50 AM »
Howdy!

A few of you helped me with my inverter which I used an old topic for in the past.  Ended up replacing it with a brand new one which hurt the wallet a bit.

Long story short either the RV I have (new to me in the last few months) was hit by lightning, plugged into improper power, or ???  Needless to say I was screwed by the auction company who sold it as fully functional (and unfortunately didn't have time to check it out in person due to work)  Thus far I replaced the Inverter, fuses across the board, new microwave this weekend (used replacement) and more. 

Now I have been troubleshooting my front Air now and it appears I don't have AC power.  But I have power (I believe) at the breaker.  I do have 12 volt power at the thermostat.  And within the ckt board inside the air conditioner.  But no power from the AC.  There is power at the breaker box to the ckt under the bed. 

Is there a sub breaker somewhere else that I need to check?  Or does it go to the roof and then back into the sub panel?  I cant believe the wires just broke or melted apart?

Let me know if you have experience with this.  Would hate to try to figure out how to run a new wire without pulling down every panel that it goes through?

Thx! Cj
ctjahn@courtneyjahn.com

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: 1996 American Eagle - No power to front air
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:00:49 AM »
No sub-breaker cause the a/c power does not pass through the inverter. Should be direct wire from the breaker to the a/c, with nothing else sharing the circuit. You will need to check at the breaker (input & output sides), and if you have power there, at the a/c end. If power is lost somewhere between those two, it's gonna be a serious hunt to find the open circuit. There is possibly a junction box in between, placed for the convenience of the assembly workers, and a wire has come loose there. The constant vibration and road shake of an RV often loosens wire nuts or even screw terminals.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

ctjahn

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
Thanks Gary, I was hoping it went to the roof unit then down into the sub panel but I knew in my heart that wasn't right...  Was also hoping I was missing something but....  Power at the breaker and none at the sub-panel leads me to believe the wires are broken, or there is another box somewhere...(I hope)... Then again I didn't check every breakers output...  Maybe they are labeled wrong...  Even so do breakers go bad?  Other than loose wires?

cj
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:25:56 AM by ctjahn »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »
Yes, a breaker can fail. Easy to test, though. Just make sure the breaker is in the On position and test voltage at the screw terminal. The breaker gets its power from the bus bar connection and delivers it via the terminal where the wire attaches. If you have power at the wire terminal on the breaker, the power loss is somewhere else, downstream along the wire somewhere.

There is typically a junction box near the roof a/c to facilitate removing/replacing the a/c unit. Usually accessed from inside, through the roof opening.

American Coach offers free wiring & plumbing schematics, but I don't know if they have them back as far as 1996. A phone call to Customer Service should get an answer to that.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

ctjahn

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:02:55 PM »
Thanks Gary,

Its still on the list but I haven't been able to find the source of the outage...

Moving on to other issues....

Cj

Hosted by Over The Network