Atlanta timing - Saturday or Sunday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mizmac

Heading up to Jamestown with the horses and 38' living quarters horse trailer plus 1-ton dually, crew cab, lwb.  Went up for a work week in August and breezed through Atlanta on Sunday noonish.  This trip we will overnight near Griffin just south of Atlanta and head thru early Sunday am.  Still debating how to schedule the trip home.  Trying to decide if going through Atlanta on Saturday sometime between 1pm and 2pm is feasible.  Question is, how much worse is Saturday traffic than Sunday.  We do use the HOV lane which helps  with all the lane changing, but the worry is very different when the horses are in the back.  Thanks for any input you might have.  Probably heading home the weekend of November 11/12 if that makes a difference. 

Do you have a smart phone to monitor traffic flow, so you can take the beltway around if necessary?

It has been 9 years since we went through Atlanta, but we went through about 10-11am on a weekday w/o problems.

I read replies on a forum in the last 6 months of people having the same experience we did.

Football Season.
Check the college and NFL schedules for that weekend.
Really early in the morning should work. REALLY Early.

We used the West Bypass on Monday at 10am. No problem at all. Yes, it is busy in spots. Get in the center lane to avoid the merging traffic.

Thanks for the input.  We went straight through in HOV lane in August around 11 am Sunday.  We will overnight about an hour south and head through very early Sunday again.  Hopefully, the weather won't be absolutely awful with Nate. 

Thanks for your input.

mizmac said:
Heading up to Jamestown with the horses and 38' living quarters horse trailer plus 1-ton dually, crew cab, lwb.  Went up for a work week in August and breezed through Atlanta on Sunday noonish.  This trip we will overnight near Griffin just south of Atlanta and head thru early Sunday am.  Still debating how to schedule the trip home.  Trying to decide if going through Atlanta on Saturday sometime between 1pm and 2pm is feasible.  Question is, how much worse is Saturday traffic than Sunday.  We do use the HOV lane which helps  with all the lane changing, but the worry is very different when the horses are in the back.  Thanks for any input you might have.  Probably heading home the weekend of November 11/12 if that makes a difference.

Consider yourself VERY lucky!  I've lived here for 36+ years (driving only 20ish of those and a few yrs w/o a license @ 12-14 yrs old shhh! lol) I don't think I've ever breezed through Atlanta.  I'm quite envious :D 

Sundays are generally better than Saturdays, and the earlier the better. 

Waze is the only app I use to avoid the crazies, which is about 95% of the people on the road in metro Atlanta.  Those people are out for blood.  November traffic is the same as August traffic. School starts at the end of July through first week of August here, so not much of a summer break traffic-wise.

If I'm reading all of the responses correctly... Atlanta is best early (1st half) but really bad late (2nd half).  If you run through early you will have the lead and beat the traffic.  If it gets late you need to make some good coaching decisions by using a map app.  Don't celebrate until you achieve victory over the traffic.

Back
Top Bottom