2018 Quartzsite Rally - Reply Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like I'm stuck in Pahrump until the first part of next week.  The transmission went out in the Bronco II, my only toad.  I took it to a transmission shop, originally they said they'd have it finished by Friday, but today their rebuild guy got called out of town due to a death in the family so it won't be ready until sometime next week.

On the plus side, it was a very graceful failure.  The transmission started dragging, slowing the car as I was cresting the summit on NV 160 going into Las Vegas.

I pulled over, shut it down and did a visual inspection of the transmission and fluid.  Then when I restarted it, the transmission went into limp mode, staying in third gear (direct drive).  Neutral and reverse also worked normally.

I was able to drive it back to Pahrump and towed it to the transmission shop yesterday.  If they hadn't already pulled the tranny I'd bring it to Quartzsite as-is, then get it fixed when I get back here.

Just in case there is a government shutdown in 4 days,does anyone know what happens at the BLM sites with services like this one?

I found this site, with questions and answers from 2013. They should still apply....

https://www.desertusa.com/dusablog/blm-faq-government-shutdown.html

In it I found this answer....

Will I be able to visit BLM-managed public lands?

All recreation facilities, including campgrounds, boat ramps etc., will be closed. If it is a non- developed recreational destination with no controlled access, you may visit. However, there will be no services and there will no non-emergency services available.

On the other hand, the Trump administration says they want the parks to remain open if the government shuts down, though with reduced services.  Unlike 2013 when Obama directed them to close the gates and erect barricades.  If true, this is significant because both BLM and NPS are part of the Executive Branch.

Government Shutdown May Not Close National Parks

Of course, all of this is speculation until someone who is actually on the scene lets us know what's going on.

Brewers arrived Friday at 1:30.  Said hello to those  I saw.  The fire ring will need to be relocated so plan on moving  rocks as your weight bearing exercise of the day. 
Nice and warm so far.  A bit breezy.  Going to go look for my name tag!

The Wishard's and Coties will be arriving after lunch today 1-20-18 if the Government hasn't  crashed our party.

I meant to post this a few days ago but unfortunartey  Sue and I are going to miss you all because I made committments here in Surprise that turned out to conflict this coming week.

Hope to get out for the potluck Saturday.

Government Shutdown

For the RV Forum people. The government shutdown will have little or no effect on us. According to the attendants at the check in booth they will be there as they are volunteer people.  (you can't slash their wages)
The dump stations will most likely be closed.
Apparently, according to the volunteers, the fresh water cannot be shut off for people in the desert however it is shut down early in the day because of the demand on the well.
We arrived yesterday and there are already 16 Forum RVs here so come on in.
I cannot vouch for other than our area.

Update

Just came from the pay station. The pay station was instructed this morning to close, dump stations and water are open now but subject to change.

According to the host "come on in and park wherever you want" it is on your honor now.

Confession, Yesterday during informal introductions of new attendees, I announced a morning  walk at 10 am. to get exercise and  empty trash bags. Wind  blew so hard  all night that it  kept me awake. Low last night was 52.  I did not  make it out to see if  anyone went on walk.  There is always tomorrow.

Looks like  those who arrive today may  get a "discount" if the kiosk is not collecting  funds.  Heard that  long, long, long time attendees Richard and Linda Sharp are not going to make it this year.  Linda is recovering from pneumonia so  the desert is just not a good place for her this year. 
Talked with Fred Thomas this morning.  Said he was first here in  1995. He  is in Maine bundled  up at zero degrees.

I forgot to pack the  RVForum signs but I will still be taking  photos of attendees and do up a collage for posting "you were here in 2018 " after our  rally! 

Here are the  Happy  Members of RVForum who attended 2017 Quartzsite Rally. 
Note the  Green RVForum sign that will NOT be in the photo this year , but if you make a mental note I'm sure you will recall when the  2018 photo is posted.  ( yeah right!)

Attachments

• 2017-01-25 RVForum Quartzsite.jpg
    2017-01-25 RVForum Quartzsite.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 53
Update at 4:45 pm.  Saturday    Dump  and water open near  RVForum  spot.

Reported by Terry who took a drive by  to check status.

Ok typical desert weather. It clouded up and rained this afternoon.  Temps dropped to  50. At  4pm ( semi designated  happy hour time, it was too wet, windy and to  sit out.  BUT at 5 pm it had cleared so I went to "sit out."  Was the  only one there. Note lone chair in one photo.

Finally was joined  by friendly RVForum folks as we seek  framily! Or was it the brownies?  Introductions again and we are picking up members enticed  by free tools, parts and service by Bill Waugh and his stacker full of goodies.  ( man cave)

Finally someone suggested we start the fire.  DONE but we all bailed before it finished.  Not all of us are from Minnesota!

Attachments

• IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3351.JPG
    IMG_3351.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3354.JPG
    IMG_3354.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3356.JPG
    IMG_3356.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3357.JPG
    IMG_3357.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 52
On behalf of those of us who are not in QZ, a big thanks for posting pics Betty.

Thanks Tom,

Yep,  I like to post photos!

Forgot to mention  Len in photo  above.  He spilled his drink into  his chair! He pouted about the loss of a good drink just because he was adjusting his seating!  No problemo, he got a dry chair and started out again!

Gotta love the resilience of RVers.

Finally someone suggested we start the fire.  DONE but we all bailed before it finished.  Not all of us are from Minnesota!

And where were the Minnesota folks? Inside our coach staying warm. :D

To  cadee2c

Welcome to your first time attendance at an  RVForum rally in Quartzsite AZ.  Many of us know your RV has been here before  (driven by Ned and Lorna Reiter.)
We also appreciate (big time) that you hunker down when weather is cold.  We heard by campfire tonight that the big tent is crowded! Even at 9 am.

So please everyone, join us at happy hour  Sunday to tell us all your Quartzsite purchases!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom