2018 Quartzsite Rally - Reply Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
garyb1st said:
Maria and I were out enjoying the Cibola National Wildlife Refuge and came across these Condors.  The Refuge is about an hour from here so it's an afternoon.
Well Gary I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are two problems with your Condors photo. Number one is there are no Condors south of Flagstaff. Number two, that is a Turkey Vulture, not a California Condor. The dead giveaway is the hole through the head via the nostrils. They are both big dark birds with red heads and they love to eat dead things, but they are definitely different species.

Attachments

• Condor 7.jpg
    Condor 7.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Turkey Vulture portrait.jpg
    Turkey Vulture portrait.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 39
  • California Condor Jana 24 2018.jpg
    California Condor Jana 24 2018.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 36
Betty right now the plan is to come out Sat AM. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

SeilerBird said:
Well Gary I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are two problems with your Condors photo. Number one is there are no Condors south of Flagstaff. Number two, that is a Turkey Vulture, not a California Condor. The dead giveaway is the hole through the head via the nostrils. They are both big dark birds with red heads and they love to eat dead things, but they are definitely different species.

Please don't tell anyone.    :-[ 

A few pics of Jeep Run to Dripping Springs...

Attachments

• Dripping Springs-019.jpg
    Dripping Springs-019.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Dripping Springs-017.jpg
    Dripping Springs-017.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Dripping Springs-011.jpg
    Dripping Springs-011.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Dripping Springs-010.jpg
    Dripping Springs-010.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 52
Sorry I missed reporting on yesterday. I was  busy.  Off road  run to Dripping Springs involves getting up early to fix  lunch so  I was tired in evening. 

We welcomed Wendy, Mike and Gordon to  the fold yesterday!  Happily she is now in charge and reviewed Name tag rules. We  had a ball on the Jeep trails. Bruised another ball and lost one  ball.  (Come on now...I'm talking about a hitch and a  tennis toy.

Labeled photos .  Terry is in here a couple of times as he usually refuses to be in photos.

Attachments

• Nametag?.JPG
    Nametag?.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Dripping Springs road.JPG
    Dripping Springs road.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Scenery.JPG
    Scenery.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Little obstacle.JPG
    Little obstacle.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Larry spots Larry.JPG
    Larry spots Larry.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Betty and Terry.JPG
    Betty and Terry.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Terry.JPG
    Terry.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 47
Some Pics from the Oh S**t Road Jeep run...

Attachments

• Oh S**t Hill-004.jpg
    Oh S**t Hill-004.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Oh S**t Hill-010.jpg
    Oh S**t Hill-010.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Oh S**t Hill.jpg
    Oh S**t Hill.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Deere Run Resort.jpg
    Deere Run Resort.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Deere Run Resort-008.jpg
    Deere Run Resort-008.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Deere Run Resort-004.jpg
    Deere Run Resort-004.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Deere Run Resort-003.jpg
    Deere Run Resort-003.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 56
Wow, looks like fun, Terry!  Sorry I missed it, and the rest of the rally, but the Bronco is still in the transmission shop.  :mad:

Lou, You would have loved this run.  There were some pretty good drops, climbs, big rocks and shaking.  Only 3 vehicles could fit at the top.

We left Larry N's stock  Jeep at the  bottom as he would  not have liked his clearance.
Missed you here.  Next time!

Betty 

Betty -- Loved the picture of you and Terry!  You two look the same as you did 20 years ago.

Oh Margi,
You are  the  greatest  cheer leader ever!  Did you note I only post  photos from a distance that do not show the lines, wrinkles or extra weight.  Hubby is camera shy or always taking the photo

Conversations at the  happy hour table reminded me again that this RVForum Framily is about connecting around the fire, on the trails, in the big tent and on the " internet. "  Someone mentioned that this RVForum has a huge diversity  in  backgrounds and experiences that is impressive.
I am ever so grateful for those friends who return to our RVForum Quartzsite Rally.  This means we welcomed newcomers enough that  they felt comfortable enough to return!  But I will now again and again apologize for my missteps on  names and name tags. If you are a Joe or a Bill I may forever confuse you and your spouse! My  Senior moments appear to  be days long!  So sorry. But  it does provide some Happy hour laughs!

Friends who've been here  before  are  remembered in our hearts and  photos BUT ONLY IF I  got you  in front of my camera1

January 26, 2018 summary.

A few left and Sylvia from 2 year ago joined us.! Potluck is at 1  Saturday. Caryl shopped Q tent and areas  and lost hubby! Tom bought solar panels! Terry and Frank traveled to big tent to  get ice cream.  Wendy and Dan & Marge are featured tonight because apparently I
omitted them from  2017 photo and promised double coverage this year!  Super group of people!  We are Framily .

A couple of photos. Terry is a long time phone man so of course he searched for Dial tone as we discovered Deer Park Resort  today.  All I heard was hello. hello! 

Attachments

• Can  you hear me now? .JPG
    Can you hear me now? .JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Dan and  Marge ! .JPG
    Dan and Marge ! .JPG
    103 KB · Views: 59
  • Wendy is here! .JPG
    Wendy is here! .JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Q sunset .JPG
    Q sunset .JPG
    46 KB · Views: 50
Betty you are bang on, this forum has such a great group of friendly, helpful people.  It is a shame that timing didn't work out this year as we are driving west in a couple of weeks, or we would have dropped in again.  However, we do plan on renewing a couple of RV friendships on our travels.  Pictures once the mini rallies occur.

Ed

Saturday 1/27/18  Potluck Day  Final day of RVForum Rally.  (unless you are  among the many who are staying over)

As "one in charge" I always sweat the weather, will it be too cold or windy for potluck? Will it rain, Will anyone attend, Will there be enough tables, will anyone  like my crispy cabbage salad? Gotta say that layered enchilada casserole  in a "cowboy casserole pot"  was a hit.  All of those Pams' can cook! 

Happily all turned out great. Jeff and  Sue Cousins joined us from Surprise AZ. ( He took a break from his  campaign for Board Member at Happy Trails) Don and Peg Miller drove in from Camp Verde,  AZ with another of  Peg's homemade, this time chocolate  delights. Don also brought RVForum Flags for sale.  He sold a couple and  has a very few left.  Send him a message to get your RVForum flag for your windshield .

Hugh and Denise surprised us  with a visit  as they reside in Brenda AZ a few miles away.  They  joined RVForum a week or so ago as they  sought  information on full timing.  They wandered around the desert for a while before finding the big group  in a circle eating!  Yep it was us. We invited  the guy in his travel trailer that has  been our close neighbor this week. We invaded his territory and he was very quiet so we wanted to thank him for his hospitality! He  had a bowl of chili and was a very nice gentleman. Said we could stop by any time!

Name tags have been the themed rules and two of my closest friends came with their names in lights so that I  may get them straight. Battery operated. I'm impressed right.....  Joe  and Bill!  Love the humor and the forgiveness for never getting it just right!

Some of us never left the lunch time circle and happy hour creeped up on us quickly by 4.  Very interesting conversations followed about military experiences.  We all have so much in common.  We are a terrific bunch of folks. Old and New friends continue!

I'm  inspired to continue next year with  some " games", skits or songs Stay tuned.  Terry also offered up a suggestion to  do a hot dog roast  in lieu  of potluck.

Farewell until we see friends again. Some of us in Yuma tomorrow!

Attachments

• Decorations.JPG
    Decorations.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Potluck .JPG
    Potluck .JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Our neighbor al week. jpg.JPG
    Our neighbor al week. jpg.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 73
  • What is your name? .JPG
    What is your name? .JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Sunset .JPG
    Sunset .JPG
    59 KB · Views: 66
Great pictures Betty, thanks for posting them.

Looks like a great time was had by all.

Mike

After a 2 year absence from the Q rally, it was great to reconnect with friends.  My daughters would like to think Betty and the other ladies for scolding me for the non use of my new best companion [crutch].  Setting next to Jim when he called the group to order was an ear shattering experience - good job Jim.  Hope to see all  of you next year.

Bill Dane [AKA 9 1/2]
99 Country Coach

It was good to see you again, Bill.

There are still a few of us here. With a high of 81 deg yesterday, happy hour was slightly delayed, but we had a nice time last night until well after dark. Most of the vendors are gone now, and the big tent, of course, is closed, so traffic jams aren't much problem, but there's still good times going.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom