Class A vs C - step height and type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slam308

One of the biggest reasons I'm thinking of a C over an A is the entry step and step height.
Are all A's going to have a couple open back steps before you get into the living space?  I know in general that C's seem lower to the ground and may only have a single extendable step whereas A's seem to have two or three.  (Some C's have none, Coachman, I think.)
If an A does have a couple open back steps, is there a way to attach carpet or something so that opening is covered up?

I'd be travelling with large dogs that seem to have a problem with climbing "open" steps with no back.

Our attached carpet on a class A does not cover the vertical 'space'. Why would it be necessary to cover that? Train the dogs? I'd expect there would be problems with carpet that did cover that area when the steps retracted.

slam308 said:
One of the biggest reasons I'm thinking of a C over an A is the entry step and step height.
Are all A's going to have a couple open back steps before you get into the living space?  I know in general that C's seem lower to the ground and may only have a single extendable step whereas A's seem to have two or three.  (Some C's have none, Coachman, I think.)
If an A does have a couple open back steps, is there a way to attach carpet or something so that opening is covered up?

I'd be travelling with large dogs that seem to have a problem with climbing "open" steps with no back.
I have a snoodle like that, but she came around. My coach is very high, when leveled in my drive I even have to put a box down even for me. Try cutting a piece of cardboard painted black, till the dog gets used to entering the coach. With cardboard you can just slip it in and out very easily.

It depends on the class A and a lot on what size wheels and tires they have, the larger 22 inch wheel models tend to have more steps, both inside and retracting, those with 19.5 inch wheels tend to have 3 steps up to interior floor level, 1 of which retracts.  And there are even some like the B+ / A crossovers Thor Axis / Vegas models which have no extending step and 2 interior steps to access the cabin.

Another new category for my comparison list, tire size...

Charlie, the black cardboard is a great idea!!  I'm going to a show this weekend and I know one of the gals has a bus sized class A.  I'll have to pick her brain about she got her kids to get in and out easily.  At 175 lbs., I'd need a forklift if they decided to refuse the stairs.

Height also is very dependent on the campground site itself and what it takes to get level.  The more you raise the front end the higher those front exterior steps.  Conversely, the more you raise the back end the lower those front steps.  We have a nice sturdy folding step that helps when the front is high.

Also the inside steps on our motorhome have a cover that is operated electrically by pushing a button.  It's a wonderful safety feature when Jerry is working up there (TV and accessories over the step area).  In essence it makes a flat floor.  Not sure if it helps regarding the furry kids.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Also the inside steps on our motorhome have a cover that is operated electrically by pushing a button.  It's a wonderful safety feature when Jerry is working up there (TV and accessories over the step area).  In essence it makes a flat floor.  Not sure if it helps regarding the furry kids.

ArdraF

That's something else I was wondering about.  The idea of having essentially a big hole in the floor was a concern of mine.  I figured I'd stash a piece of plywood somewhere to cover it up.  Is this cover a fairly common feature? 
That's part of the reason for the whole "open step" question.  I can picture one of my dogs climbing the steps too enthusiastically and sliding a foot through.  Easy way to break a leg!

In my experience most front entry class A's (those with the door in front of the passenger seat) have some type of usually automatic sliding panel that covers the step well.  My side door Safari Trek has a manual side hinged flip down panel that does much the same thing, it also doubles as a hand rail / grab handle on entry, it is operated by releasing a spring loaded pin, though unfortunately it does require bending down to lift.

You're way over-thinking this. Buy the unit that is suitable for the human occupants, the dogs will be fine.

Is this cover a fairly common feature?

It was on the older Monaco motorhomes but I don't know about others.  I'm not sure why you think the dog's leg might slip through because all the steps I've seen are solid, both inside and outside.

As to getting in and out of the RV they make ramps for your furry kids.  Many people here have used them when their pups got older and arthritic.

ArdraF

... the inside steps on our motorhome have a cover that is operated electrically by pushing a button

Ardra, just for clarification, the step cover on our Monaco Camelot is vacuum operated.

Okay, correction needed.  Jerry thought I was asking about the exterior steps and not the interior step cover.  Our inside Step Cover is operated by air pressure from the air tank and we pressure a switch to open and close it.  Sorry for the confusion.

ArdraF

We have a class A and travel with Newfoundlands. I purchased a heavy duty step to use when leveling makes the bottom step high off the ground. My old girl used to have problems if it was too high. Other than elderly dogs mine have been fine since the first trip. They love travelling in the RV!

[quote author=ArdraF]Our inside Step Cover is operated by air pressure from the air tank and we pressure a switch to open and close it.[/quote]

Ardra, have Jerry take another look. I suspect that your step cover, like ours, is vacuum operated, not air operated.

Tom said:
Ardra, have Jerry take another look. I suspect that your step cover, like ours, is vacuum operated, not air operated.

Tom,

Where would be your vacuum source when the engine isn't running? Our Ventana has an electric step cover, and can extend even with the ignition off (I just tried it to confirm).

[quote author=Larry N]Where would be your vacuum source when the engine isn't running?
[/quote]

We only extend the step cover while underway, so the passenger's feet aren't dangling. In fact, I consciously don't extend it while we're parked, because of something that happened when we pulled up outside Jerry & Ardra's home; A piece of carpet caused the cover to refuse to retract. If we needed to get out of the coach in a hurry in the middle of the night, the step cover getting hung up could certainly impede our exit.

Meanwhile, I screwed up  :-[ Looking at the schematics for our coach, the step cover is electric. When I said it was vacuum operated, I'd flipped the page while I was looking for something else, and "vacuum" on that page somehow registered. The fact that the step cover operates somewhat erratically merely enforced my belief that it wasn't driven by an electric motor.

No, it definitely is air operated.  When our air drops a lot after we're parked for a while you cannot use the step cover.  When that happens it can be pulled out and pushed in by hand or of course you can turn on the engine and bring the air up to ride height - but we don't usually do that when it's stored in the garage!  We have one switch next to the passenger seat and one on the dashboard so it can be operated from either side.

Like Tom, the only time we really use it is while driving to keep the passenger's feet from dangling.  The exception is if Jerry is working on the TV equipment or electrical panel directly above it.  In this case we're parked.  We do worry that someone will accidentally open the door and anyone standing on the step cover might fall off which would not be fun.  For that reason we always lock the door for safety when the step cover is extended to work above it.  No mistakes!

ArdraF

Understood Ardra, thanks. Looks like our schematic for the electric step cover aplies to Cheetah, Sahara, Zanzibar, Camelot, Scepter, Diplomat, Endeavor. Santiam, Windsor and Imperial. Wouldn't apply to your Executive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom