What can I use to extend gen exhaust pipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

The exhaust tube coming from the Onan generator is barely to the end of the slide wall.  What can I use to extend it so that it's farther from the slide exterior wall?

Take the OD dimension of the pipe then shop around for a pipe similar to electrical conduit with the same or a touch bigger than the OD of your pipe. The make some saw cuts around the OD of the extension pipe, slide it on the exhaust pipe and then put a hose clamp around it.

I have a 90 d elbow  electric conduit fits perfect with connector. I use forhome made genturi

Auto parts stores have various diameter & length exhaust pipe pieces, including elbows. I made an extension for mine as part of a home made "Genturi" type exhaust that channeled the exhaust above the roof line. It just slipped over the existing exhaust when needed.

You probably don't need a tight fit, some any leakage will be outdoors anyway. Also, the hot gases will tend to follow the path of least resistance and flow out & up the pipe. Just avoid any restrictions. Small genset engines do not handle back-pressure on the exhaust at all - the engine stumbles and dies.

If you want a permanent mod, you can have a new tube made - it's a bolt-on installation. However, a pipe that sticks out more than a very few inches is a real nuisance when walking around the coach.

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like teh OP was after just a short extention....like maybe one of those chrome tips..... just to get it out from under the edge wall

Dont make any extension real long. I've seen a couple generators with melted plastic parts from muffler heat not being able to escape. If you want to get the fumes up where they have a better chance of being carried away some will use a portable system called Genturi. The  generator exhaust does not fit tightly into the Genturi pipe. It has an air gap so it draws in air and keeps the Genturi from becoming very hot.

When I wanted to reroute the generator exhaust on our coach to get it away from our Protect-A-Tow toad shield, I found the sweep exhaust elbow I needed online at Summit Racing. None of the area auto parts stores had one small enough. I had to laugh when I removed the RV factory installed extension pipe to install the elbow. The coupling they had used was a standard iron pipe threaded nipple. :)

or you could go find an old fashioned muffler shop and flip the guy a $20 dollar bill and you won't even need to even get your hands dirty.

Camco 44461 Gen-Turi Generator Exhaust Venting System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUU5XG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qMm1zbMW3N6FP

That?s the full set to get it above the RV, they also have short extensions.

When I was worried that my Onan exhaust would melt my Roadmaster Tow Defender I learned how easy it was to rotate the exhaust 90 degrees to come out the side rather than the back.  There are already 2 sets of holes on the manifold of the Onan for this purpose.

I will say this about the Gen-Turi

When my rig was new it took only 2 hours of generator run time to fire off the CO alarm

add a Gen-Turi and 25 hours without a beep.

We have a Genturi, and we love it.  It allows us to run the genny with neighbors in close proximity, which is common at some of the events we attend.  Also allows us to have windows open on the side where the exhaust is.  I can't recommend it enough. 

It comes with a series of adapter collars that you permanently clamp to the genny exhaust pipe.  They will accommodate multiple sizes of pipes.  The metal "J-pipe" then slips over this collar and is held in place by a pin. 

Our exhaust pipe was right at the edge of the coach body.  The collar sticks out maybe 2" once installed. 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom