DVR for campground cable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

looking for a DVR that will record cable from the campgrounds cable hook up- we full time so we are always moving and would like one that can be used with all the different cable providers. hopefully one that works without WIFI or just needs WIFI for initial set up

thanks

If you are on campground cable a TIVO would be an excellent choice.  We have one in our home and you can record anything you want (up to 6 channel at once) and hold it until you want to watch.  Additionally, you can run back live programming to see something you missed.  Many many other features too many to mention here but do check it out.  It fits between the cable input and your TV and comes with it's own remote that operates both the TV and the TIVO.  You can also set shows or series you like to record everytime they are on automatically (One Pass they call it).

One of our biggest uses is to record baseball games and then start watching about 45 minutes into the game so we can fast forward though all of the commercials.  Makes watching a game a lot more pleasant.

Bill

As Glen says, the recording hardware is easy but the program listing is not.  None of the commercially available tv recorders will know what stations the campground system has, what the time schedules are, etc.  You have to program the recorder yourself for time and channel. No "magic" where the recorder automatically finds shows of interest, alternate viewing times, etc.

Many campground cable systems are just community antennas, i.e. the campground has a powerful central receiver and then re-broadcasts the signal via coax to each site.  The campground tv receiver may be local OTA channels, a selection from a regional cable service, or a satellite subscription service. Or a mix of those. Even if the campground cable is re-broadcasting a nationally known tv service, it will probably not be using the same channel numbers to deliver them.

What Gary says is true in most cases but at three of the campgrounds we use the cable system is a regional company and they do have program guides that can be viewed so you can set up for recording.  Of course when you move or change campgrounds to another with cable you will have to reset but it helps to find the times and stations of your favorite programs before hand.  In our case, if it's baseball, murders or live police programs we are watching.........lol  Heck of a mix huh?

Bill

it would be nice if you could change the name on the program- that's the big issue we have with our TIVO we will get a dozen or so programs called "manual recording" . we can download the channel guide for the OTA but not the local cable provider with the TIVO.

glen54737 said:
I bought one from magnavox that records OTA signals you will have to learn the new channels and program the times it doesn't have a guide so you need to program it to record channel 4 from 8-10pm on tuesday.
https://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR867H-Recorder-Digital-Tuner/dp/B015FOZD34

I have one of those and I love it.  It's like a VCR but with a hard drive instead of tapes. 

You have to manually set the times to record things, so nothing happens automatically.  But you can "name" the timer setting, and you can do it with recurring recordings, like every Tuesday at 8:00.  So I can name that timer setting, which serves as a reminder to me that "Program X" is on Tuesdays at 8:00, even if I don't have a guide telling me that.

It works really great with my DirecTV receiver--the receiver itself autotunes programs, and the Magnavox is told to just record from whatever is on the receiver at a given time.  It also caches 6 hours of programming, so you can do the live-rewind thing.

If you were using it with cable or OTA, you'd have to change the timer to reflect the number of the channel for that recording if you change locations, but I assume everything else would be the same.

oriontn said:
I have not tried this but, it is a option.

http://www.antennadeals.com/DVRVideoRecorder.html

I looked this over with great interest but I am confused about just what it is.  There is never a mention of hooking this in to a cable TV service to record those programs.  It seems as if they are only mentioning OTA antennas.  I currently use a TIVO at home and it is excellent but is also much more expensive than this.  One of the comments mentions that a guy used his existing cable but reading further found that he meant he only used the coax that was already in his house.  So, for you tech experts:  Can this inexpensive widget be used to record programs coming in via cable TV service?  Thanks.

Bill

Bill N said:
So, for you tech experts:  Can this inexpensive widget be used to record programs coming in via cable TV service?  Thanks.
Not likely. Some of these boxes can also do unecrypted Digital cable (Clear QAM). The box mentioned looks like it only processes digital OTA.

The only way that one of these would work, is if the park is distributing a Clear QAM signal.

Tom_M said:
Not likely. Some of these boxes can also do unecrypted Digital cable (Clear QAM). The box mentioned looks like it only processes digital OTA.

The only way that one of these would work, is if the park is distributing a Clear QAM signal.

Thanks Tom.  I thought it was too good to be true.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom