2002 Journey Question - Air System for Brakes and Bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Top38

This may be a Freightliner question but was wondering where the air pressure sensors are for the air brakes and air bags on this coach would be.
I had a low air pressure alarm go off for about 5 seconds where the rear air pressure gauge went to 0 then popped right back to 130 PSI so I know it was
not low and figured that there must be a loose connection or the air pressure sensor is starting to go bad.

thanks

I think the warning buzzer is built into the dash gauge assembly, so you may have a loose air connection there. There have been other reports of bad connections there. As I understand it,though, the alarms triggered by the gauge action, so anything that makes the needle on the gauge go down will trigger the alarm.

Contact Freightliner Customer Service for chassis air system info and have the last 6 digits of the VIN handy. 1-800-FTL-HELP

Thanks, I don't think that the gauge has an actual air line going to it, meaning a mechanical gauge, it moved up and down way to quick so it must be an electrical gauge that has a sending unit somewhere. But something could be getting loose at the gauge end too.

I thin your chassis uses a Vehicle Data Unit (VDU).  You should be able to find several articles if you do a search on this forum.

Yes, it appears that I have the same VDU issue described from that search. Thanks.

I owned a 2002 Journey for 8 years.  Had same issue....low air alarms, gauge goes to 0.  However, no other evidence of low air....brakes still work, etc.

It may surely be the VDU.  The air gauges get all their info from the VDU/VDC and they were known to have cold solder joints that would cause this particular problem.  I removed my VDU, opened it and re-soldered the cold joints.  It fixed it for about 2 1/2 years before it started doing it again.  I got a new VDU the second time. 

Here is an article that may be helpful:

Attachments

• vdcrepair.pdf
    292.8 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom