Generator for a 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremypkpl

Me and my wife are going to start full-timing in a 37' Keystone Cougar in the next few months. I am looking at the honda 3000i generator since it's quiet and can power the ac etc... My issue in which I don't see anywhere is where to store the generator when in use. Class A's have a compartment for generators but I do not see where to store it this while in use on for 5th wheels for safety and so it doesn't get stolen? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Most Keystone 5th wheels house the generator in the front compartment under the overhang of the fifth wheel. The exhaust is hard piped out to the side to help prevent carbon monoxide from getting into the camper, and fuel lines are fed from an on-board fuel tank.  I thought most Keystone cougars came equipped with an on board generator, but I do realize it?s an option not to have one.  I must be misunderstanding your question, but it almost sounds like you?re going to buy a portable generator and operate it inside a compartment? Surely not, but I?m sure others that know WAY more than me will respond.

Hi Jeremy, and welcome to the RVForum. A lot of folks will just chain their portable generators to a hard-point on the trailer. Some run them while secured in the bed of their truck (kind of noisy) and others just leave them out in the open, unsecured and hope they don't grow legs. It kind of depends on the environment.

My parents had one for their fifth wheel, and when they boondocked, my dad put it about 50 feet from the trailer when he ran it... and it wasn't secured to anything. When it was in the bed of his truck while traveling, however, it was always chained to the bed.

Kev 

Welcome to the forum
I bolted Honda 3000 into the truck bed in front of the hitch. When I first installed it I also built an insulated metal cabinet with a locking lid. The exhaust end of the cabinet has a grill and the other end has an 10 or 12 inch 120 volt axial fan which is plugged into the generator. I have now removed the cabinet because but it's still very quiet. It's also remote start.

I installed a transfer switch in the basement and a 10 gauge cord is fastened under the overhang and runs up to the pin box and up into the truck. I made the cable long enough so that the truck can be parked with the truck hood to the pin. I now use a Honda vinyl cover with elastic that slips over the genny.

Edit: I removed and drilled the two bottom plates and and welded bolts to the plates. I then reinstalled the plates and set the genny into place after drilling holes in the appropriate bed locations.

Howdy Jeremy,

Here's the generator we're planning to buy:
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100263-Generator/dp/B01FAWMMEY

The main reasons are (1) price, less than half the price of the Honda, (2) propane-ready from factory, therefore we not only avoid issues with stale gas and clogged carburator, but also having to deal with another fuel just for the generator, as our truck will be diesel (we will just carry more propane bottles).

We plan on carrying it on the truck's bed too, and loved QZ's description on how he bolted his; we will probably do something very similar.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom