Grand Design 2500RL Tow Vehicle help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill dean

I have a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab with a 5.7L and 3.92 rear end. The yellow tag on the door say the payload is 1330 Lbs and can tow 10,300 lbs. I am looking to buy a 2018 Grand Design 2500RL with a UVW 5857 lbs GVWR of 7495 lbs and a hitch weight 581 lbs. Does anyone see anything wrong with this match up?

The published dry tongue weight is useless. The tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of the loaded trailer's weight. Around here, we generally go by the GVWR of the trailer, because you don't camp with an empty trailer, and eventually you will most likely have the trailer loaded to the max. That said, the tongue weight of your trailer will be between 750 to 1125#. assuming 15% of the fully loaded trailr, 1330# minus 1125# of tongue weight leaves 205# for driver, passengers, cargo, and anything else added to the pick-up after it left the factory. That's things like bedliner, running boards, those heavy floor mats, tools and emergency kit under the seats, wife's purse, etc.

kdbgoat said:
The published dry tongue weight is useless. The tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of the loaded trailer's weight. Around here, we generally go by the GVWR of the trailer, because you don't camp with an empty trailer, and eventually you will most likely have the trailer loaded to the max. That said, the tongue weight of your trailer will be between 750 to 1125#. assuming 15% of the fully loaded trailr, 1330# minus 1125# of tongue weight leaves 205# for driver, passengers, cargo, and anything else added to the pick-up after it left the factory. That's things like bedliner, running boards, those heavy floor mats, tools and emergency kit under the seats, wife's purse, etc.

Holly crap!! Looks like paper plates, cups and plastic silverware are in order, along with using the microwave a lot.

kdbgoat said:
e

Agreed 1/2 tons usually have limited tow  capacity due to the very low cargo capicity which is usually less the 1400 lbs, and yes anything you add ie tonneau covers tools etc take away form that capacity so a mom and dad and 2 kids which total 600lbs as an example plus a cover at 75 and 50 lbs of firewood is have your capacity gone and your fighting a truck that has the front end bouncing which. Means no steering control and tha back end dragging the bumper on speed bumps

I understand your frustration.  Even using a 10% hitch weight of 750# only leaves 580# for the WD hitch, passengers, and all the stuff kbdgoat mentioned.  I doubt you would like how it towed.

The PUBLISHED tow capacity is for a truck with the lowest trim level, no options except max tow, full fuel tank and 2  150# passengers. PERIOD.  No cargo, no options.  They do not say your truck can tow that weight, they say they make a 1500 crew cab with the 5.7L that can tow that much. 

Misleading, I know.  If you have a wreck and go after them, they will point to the small print that said you must verify your truck is within weight specs, which it would obviously not be.

Tongue weight of a Grand Design TT is not realistic. The specs of my GD 2150 said the tongue weight was 412lbs. After adding 2 batteries, 2 propane tanks WDH and all the stuff you need less water my tongue weight was 770lbs. The TT your looking at is bigger thus will have a higher tongue weight. 

Back
Top Bottom