Newbie from Schaumburg,IL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90saleen

Hi, everyone! I'm Adam, this is my first post here, so, this is just to say hello.
My wife and I just bought our first travel trailer.It is The Gulf Stream Ameri-lite 189DD. We never camp out or travel in the RV, so this is a new world to us and we may need some help.I have a lot and lots of questions, not sure where to begin.I've been watching lots of youtube videos about towing, hookup, maintenance, black tank, grey tank etc...What concerned me the most is the safety of my family. So let me begain with question nr 1 Do I need to install weight distribution bars(I hope that's the name).My travel trailer(camper) is 3100lbs heavy, limit tow cap on my SUV is 6500lbs Please help,txs.Adam.

Welcome to the Forum!!

We are here to help.  It keeps us off the streets at night.

For best results, click the "PROFILE" tab near the top of the page and modify your signature to include your tow vehicle and camper.

Multiple questions are best asked in multiple threads.

No question is a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

To answer your question, you are very close. It is a Weight Distribution Hitch.  It is used to move some of the hitch weight off the back bumper and onto the front axle.  This helps level the ride and keep weight on the wheels that steer the car.  You definitely want one!  They come in different weight ratings.  Get one a bit bigger than the weight of the camper.

What is the GVWR of the camper, not dry wt? 
What is the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) of your tow vehicle?  it should be on a yellow placard on the driver door latch post.

The hitch wt must be at least 10% of the gross trailer weight.  To this, add 80# for the WD hitch and the weight of all passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle.  The CCC MUST be greater than this number.

I wouldn't consider pulling any trailer with out an equalizer type hitch. I bought my hitch in 1974 and still have it today. I bought it to use on a 1972 Aristocrat 18ft TT, and have used it many others including my race car trailers. I listened to the guy that set me up originally and bought a hitch that was heavier than I needed, because he said most people go bigger in a year or two then have to buy another hitch. I've always kept the bars greased and they are still in great shape. I personally like the round bar hitches over the Reese type, but they both do the same job. You just want to be sure to get it set up right to begin with. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom