Out camping, using portable tower heater to supplement.... Fuse blew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callans1

I feel so stupid asking this question because I think I may know my own answer. I'm out camping with my sister, full hook ups I plugged in a portable tower heater just to supplement and give us a little extra heat instead of turning on the heater system. When we got up this morning the heater was off and now the sockets on that side of the coach aren't working and the sockets on the right side of the coach aren't working. Other outlets are working. And I do have overhead lights. I checked my fuse box which is located near the bed. did not see the breaker switch in an off position but I still turned it off and then back on. I looked specifically for the one that said receptacles. So I'm kind of at a loss at what could make those outlet shut down, Or maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I'm new to this motorhome it is a 2016 Thor 31W Ch?teau. Anyone have any suggestions on where else to look, I sure would appreciate it because I like making my coffee at the sink and not on the bedroom counter. Thanks for any help you can provide.

kdbgoat said:
Have you checked all your GFCI's?
It might be that (almost certainly in the bathroom) or it's in the power dist panel there will be on breaker not in the "on "or "off "positions. Turn it off then back on to reset.
Don't feel bad I did this the day before yesterday too and have been in rv's for about 50 years.

As already posted a GFCI has tripped. It looks like an outlet with a button on it to reset. There also may be a red light to tell it has tripped. You might have two, each will control two regular outlets.

Note the lights usually use 12V (battery) so having them working is normal (kinda)...

You have two electrical systems 12VDC which are fused and handle almost everything in the RV. And 120VAC which have circuit breakers just like at home which handle 120V items like the AC, W/H, and refer when connected into shore power.  You have either tripped a GFCI or tripped a breaker.  Reason is simple, overloaded the circuit.  You cannot usually operate a 1500 watt heater and anything else on the same breaker.  The breakers are generally 15A rated, sometimes 20A, but unless you locate and verify my guess your connected to a 15A breaker.

Toggle all of the breakers, even if they don't look like they have tripped.

When you have a chance, figure out what each breaker controls then label the breaker and each outlet. You'll be less likely to overload a circuit, and if a breaker does trip you can identify it quickly.

I wonder how many times I have said this..  The standard RV outlets are NOT good for space heaters.

THe standard RV outlet is a "Quick Box" type thing. the wires punch down into the box like telephone wires do.. NOw for telephone use,, a few mA. (1000ths of an amp) these are great and work well

But that heater draws like 12 amps. thousands of times more current than the phone... So the connection melts.

It might be the outlet you plugged into, or any of the other outlets that are not working, or even one that IS working.

I installed special "heater" outlets in my RV. 12ga wire bent around a screw and properly tightened.

OK, you've had some good advice. Re-check those circuit breakers and look for a tripped GFCI.

If your coach is equipped with an inverter that can power those outlets, there is probably another circuit breaker on the inverter itself that may have tripped.

Be aware that a portable heater uses a lot of power, typically 1500 watts. That translates to about 12.5 amps on the circuit that probably has a 15A max and is shared with other devices.  If your RV has 30A shore power, it's also nearly 1/2 the total available to you for all purposes, including the fridge and water heater.

Each breaker in your coach probably supports multiple power needs, so you may not have a dedicated breaker for outlets. Or it may be labeled something like "convenience" or "accessory".  Also, it's common in RVs like yours to have the 12v converter/charger on the same branch circuit as the wall outlets, so it may be label for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom