Hot water heater issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kal

On my 2017 Keystone Impact. Atwood hot water heater has a automatic igniter. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't light causing a flame to come out of the exhaust side. What would be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance

Sometimes it doesnt light, but you further state the flame comes out of the exhaust side?  Makes no sense, sorry?.  If it is lighting then the igniter is working.  Poor air flow could be one cause of back burn.  Check for obatructions in the burner tube.  Also if this model has an adjustable air shuttle, check to be sure it is adjusted properly.

When it does light it's ok. But when all you  hear is a clicking sound for a few minutes I get a flame out of the exhaust. Sorry about the confusion. I will check the burner tube.

Thanks 

Check to make sure the igniter is aligned correctly. It sounds like the pilot gas is building up in the heater, then the spark ignites it after too much has entered the burner. Post the model number of your water heater, and we can point you in the right direction for a manual if there isn't a copy in your paperwork. Being this is a fairly new camper, is it under warranty?

I had a similar problem on one of my fridges once. It would click, click and keep trying to light then there would be a kaboom and then stop trying. Shut it off and it would do the same thing again. This was on a new unit. Took it back and Dometic repairman came out and the igniter was out of adjustment. The gap was to large so it would keep trying till it finally had a buildup of gas and then it would explode but would not stay on. They adjusted the igniter and then all worked fine.

Like the above poster said check the igniter gap. Yours is probably very close to being right so it ignites some times and other times not.

Back
Top Bottom