Transmission Fluid Level hard to read on dip stick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwrobertson

I have a Winnebago Minnie, E450 Triton V10, Allison Transmission. My problem is that when I check the transmission fluid level (warm running engine), I cannot tell what the level is on the dip stick. It is like the scale on the end has collected transmission fluid from the tube. Even after adding fluid the level is still covered in transmission fluid. The fluid doesn't drip off the end of the stick so that makes me think that the fluid is not touching the stick. Aggrevated and concerned here. Any suggestions on how to get a good transmission fluid level would be appreciated.
jr

I had a motor dipstick like that one time  :mad:
I would wipe the stick and re-insert 6 or 8 times until it looked like it was no longer wiping oil off the tube walls.

You are correct Utah... The tranny is a 5r110w-torqshift - 5 speed automatic with tow/haul.

It is difficult to see the level of fluid on the dipstick.  I usually have to look at the all sides of the white plastic tip in very bright light to see the level of the fluid. I also have to put the dipstick in and out several times to figure out the level.

Give the following a try:

Turn off the engine and let it sit for a couple of hours and check the fluid level.  That will let any fluid that might be in the tube to drain. 

If the fluid level is less than 1 to 1.5 inched above the white plastic tip of the dip stick you are fine. 

Another note here is that it is very bad to overfill the transmission, so avoid the temptation to "add some just to be sure".

Sprucegum said:
I had a motor dipstick like that one time  :mad:
I would wipe the stick and re-insert 6 or 8 times until it looked like it was no longer wiping oil off the tube walls.

Yup, same here. Frustrating.

I had a ford e350  with a 460 engine and the dip stick had a little bitty plastic thing on the end of it and it was impossible to read where the fluid level was so I traded motor homes. ;D

A handy trick I have used over the years for this problem is: clean the stick well with MEK ,,acetone,, or other solvent that wont leave a film.. Paint the end with high heat flat black,, you can see again.>>>Dan

sometimes it is just so clear it's hard to see.  place the end against a paper towel, it helps me

tboss said:
I had a ford e350  with a 460 engine and the dip stick had a little bitty plastic thing on the end of it and it was impossible to read where the fluid level was so I traded motor homes. ;D

Took care of that!!!

Same here, with my '09 F53 and transmission.  My trans. dipstick has two areas, marked cold and hot.  I check mine cold most of the time.  The oil is a bit thicker (sticking to the scale) and has run out of the tube.  Usually pull it, wipe it, reinsert, pull and read.

I?ve also had the problem of reading the dip stick. If the paint trick works I wonder about sandblasting the bottom 4? or so.

Think I?ll try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom