Xantrex Freedom Xi 2K Inverter to be installed into RV TT with WF 8955 Converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrdave1017

2005 Vintage Dutchmen TT.  Want to add Xantrex Freedom Xi 2K Inverter.  TT has WF 8955 Converter/Charger.  Upgrading single battery to battery bank of 4, 6 Volt AGM Deep Cycle hooked series/parallel.  Inverter has automatic A/C transfer (shore pass through to Internal A/C out).  Problem: How do i use this with the WF 8955 converter/charger.  Do I run shore power up stream of the 30 Amp breaker in the WF 8955 to the Invert first?  Do I then run ac out of the inverter to what would have been the shore power IN (30 Amp Main breaker) in the WF 8955 distribution panel?  If I do that I'll need to add an external 30 Amp breaker in it's own box up stream of the Xantrex INVERTER where the shore power comes into the TT to have a cut off of the shore power.  Is there any way of getting around having to install an external (from the distribution panel) 30 Amp breaker?
Will this work this way?  It seems like the battery charger in WF 8955 needs to be taken out of the circuit somehow when it is being fed by the INVERTER.  Surely this can't be hard to do.  Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mrdave1017

Simply electrically disconnect and replace it with the Inverter as the Freedom Xi inverters can handle all the battery charging and DC duties as well as AC conversion, and probably better than the Wfco. Just be sure you get a large enough Inverter.

Simply electrically disconnect...

If only it were "simple"!!

You need to disconnect the 8955 converter/charger components and wire the Freedom in place of it. This video on 8955 repair may help identify components and wires:
http://wfcoelectronics.com/installation-and-replacement-videos/

Here is video that purports to show how to remove the converter portion. I have not reviewed it myself...
https://vimeo.com/15713417

You can use the freedom's 30A AC output to feed power to the rest of the 8955. That way you get either shore power (pass-thru) or inverter power when needed. Just be sure you don't leave any high amp appliances on if a shift to inverter mode is possible. An air conditioner, electric mode fridge or electric water heater will deplete your battery(s) very quickly, maybe in just seconds.

A smarter way is to break up the power sources for the heavy duty stuff and separate from the inverter feed, but that involves a lot more re-wiring and expertise.

Doing a quick search for "Xantrex Freedom Xi 2K Inverter" I don't see where this inverter has a built in charger.

If I doesn't have a built in charger I would buy an inverter with a charger and disconnect the converter. 

Looking online the WF 8955 Converter/Charger is a 3 stage charger, but only has a max current of 55amps.  For your 400+ amp hours of battery you want a charger which will start at 80-100 amps when charging.  Also the converter has a fixed max voltage of 14.4V when you should have 14.6-14.8V for max charging voltage. 

Assuming you will be dry camping or boondocking you really need to have a battery monitor, like a Trimetric http://www.bogartengineering.com/products/trimetrics/

Without the monitor you are flying blind as to exactly how far down you have discharged your batteries and equally as important exactly how full  you have charged your batteries when charging.  Extremely important for having long battery life or not killing your batteries with a few months of usage.

Like AStravellers said, the Xantrex Freedom Xi does NOT have a built-in charger/converter.  If it did, you could just disconnect the AC input to the WF8955 and leave it in place.  It will stay just as inert as it does when you're boondocking.

Since you need the 8955, the situation you have to avoid is having the inverter power feed into the 8955 and then go back into the batteries.  This sets up a power wasting loop.

Solutions:

A) Put the inverter and it's transfer switch on a circuit breaker coming out of the breaker panel so it only feeds the circuit coming out of that breaker. This avoids having the inverter energize the main circuit breaker panel and the 8955.  The disadvantage is only the outlets or devices on that breaker will be powered by the inverter.

B) Feed the inverter and it's transfer switch from a 30 amp circuit breaker on the main panel and add a smaller breaker box after the inverter.  Move everything you want to power from the inverter to new circuit breakers in this box.  The 8955 stays in the original breaker panel and will only be energized by shore power so there's no current loop.

C) Put the inverter ahead of the main breaker box so it feeds everything in the trailer, then add an on/off switch to the AC input to the 8955 and turn it off whenever you're using the inverter.  Also be sure to turn off power wasters like the electric side of the water heater and switch the refrigerator from Auto to Gas operation.

Back
Top Bottom