Forest River Class C chassis/engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slam308

I've been all over the website and I can not find anywhere that mentions which chassis/engine the Forester or Sunseeker use.  They list a Ford or Chevy option, but they don't say which Ford or Chevy.  It's not even in the specs.  It just says to check the owner's manual.  Other brands list the 350 or 450 for Ford, anyone know?

The sites listed above have a lot of detail on chassis capacity, but don't identify the specific Ford chassis used. However, the 14,500 lb GVWR shown for most models identifies it as the E450 van cutaway chassis.  The Ford Transit is less, but that is identified separately.

The 14,200 lb GVWR shown for the Chevy chassis identifies it as the Chevy Express 4500, the van cutaway version.

My 2017 Sunseeker 2250 is on a E450 Ford Chassis. I know it is also available on a Chevy chassis and the Ford E350 chassis.

I did check those websites but found, as you did Gary, that they don't specify which chassis.  I did a search on rvtrader and found a picture that shows the E450 logo on the cab so I thought I had my answer, but now I see KenCarol's answer that says you can get the E350 or E450...
Why would someone pick the 350 over the 450?
(I don't necessarily need an answer to that, but now I know I have to be sure which one I'm getting if I decide to go that route.)  ::)

I think you will find that those on a E350 chassis will be either smaller (shorter, lighter) or much older.

The E350 has a lower GVWR than the E450 and is suitable only for smaller coaches. It's also a cheaper chassis, so used when the target selling price is low. There are a few shorter C's and some B's that use the E350.  Back in  the day when rigs were lighter and smaller, there were quite a few C's designed for the E350, but not many now.

You don't get a choice of E350 or E450 when you order - the coach model is designed for one or the other.

Ford's motorhome chassis line-up is deatiled at the link below. They no longer advertise the E350 as a motorhome chassis, but some RV builders still use it for low end models.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/motorhome/

Back
Top Bottom