Best lube for corner jacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biggersm

We have corner scissor jacks on our popup.  They are frequently noisy and a little hard to crank up in our humid Florida climate.  I'm wondering what the majority of you use to lube the threads.  I have grease gun (for lubrication not the firearm) and a couple different cans  of various spray type lubes.  I don't want anything that will attract sand into the threads or have any other long term affects.  I hope this does not turn into what they call an oil thread (something very notorious in motorcycle forums).  Please just say what you use and why and I will count what seems most popular and go with it.  Thanks in advance.

I would go with a dry silicone lubricant so like you said, you don't want something which will hold sand/dirt.

You definitely want a non oil based lube, and a dry lube.  Graphite may work.
;D just stick a pencil in the threads  ;D

I'm also looking at other web pages and discovered LPS, specifically #1 (other LPS numbers appear to be wet).  Anyone using that?

Two things to lube on a scissor type jack: 91) the screw thread, and (2) the pivot points of the scissor arms.

I think you could use most any sort of machinery lube on the pivots, anything you can squirt in so that it works into the metal bearing surfaces (which are often just glorified rivets). For the threads on the jack screw, you want something that clings but does not stay wet or sticky so that dirt clings.  Dry silicone or was-based products are probably best.

One of my favorites for this sort of thing is Kwik Lube, the stuff developed for Kwikee RV step mechanisms. It sprays on and dries, yet provides long lasting lubrication. Available in many stores where Rv-related products are sold, and some home & hardware stores.
https://www.amazon.com/Kwikee-Products-905069000-Kwiklube-Grease/dp/B000BGOI92

I use a graphite spray for the stab jack's. I lightly spray the screw threads and pivot points. Makes operation easier and doesn't attract dirt & grime.
RichH

ijon said:
I use Break Free , great product.

Under their write-up it says "Specially formulated synthetic oils won't lose viscosity, dry out or stiffen up in extreme environments". I wouldn't use it. It will collect grit and that's the last thing you'd want in the screw threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom