Using Scissor Jacks to lift the Tongue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse Brown

I have a relatively light (3500 #) RV with 4 stabilizer jacks and a tongue jack.  I want to remove the tongue jack because it interferes with my tailgate on my truck.  I don't have a whole lot of tongue real estate to add another jack, so I was wondering.....Could i replace the 4 wimpy stabilizer jacks with 4 heavy duty scissor jacks.  This would allow me to use the front 2 scissor jacks to lift the tongue for hitching and unhitching.  I could completely remove the tongue jack.  I may have to travel back and forth from side to side with lifting and lowering the RV, but it's not that big of a deal.  As an added bonus, I could use the new heavy duty scissor jacks to really level the camper.

Possible????

I would be concerned about torquing the frame with that kind of arrangement, unless you could get electric jacks that you could run simultaneously. If your trailer weighs 3500 lbs, one would expect the tongue weight to be 10-12% of that, or 350-420lbs. Check out some of these. Maybe you could adapt a couple of them and wire them with a pair of switches to operate them. JMHO

Go to a farm store and buy a wagon jack, 

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641743_200641743?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive%20>%20Jacks%20>%20Farm%20Jacks&utm_campaign=Strongway&utm_content=46204&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7tDeudjY1gIVSQaGCh0j9g25EAQYASABEgKF9vD_BwE

It will easily lift the tongue and then yoy can store it in the beed of your truck for the next time.

How about getting one of these and mount it under the tongue. This should be way more than enough to lift the tongue off the ball. You could mount it permanently or make it portable.  This one is rated for 5000#.

https://www.amazon.com/Cynder-00672-Leveling-Scissor-Stabilizer/dp/B01IMMU7SM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1507200390&sr=8-3&keywords=rv+stabilizer+scissor+jack

So the folks at etrailer advise against using a scissor type jack for lifting the trailer specifically while hitching.  If I think about it a minute, I think they are correct.  That scissor jack is designed only to take a vertical load; any significant side load and it might bend or collapse.  If you bump the ball of the trailer while hitching up, you could be in trouble.  I'm thinking a standard tongue jack will take more abuse in that area. 

On the same note, i don't want any "temporary" style jack like the wagon jack (we called them farm jacks).  If you make a mistake in backing up, the whole thing could slip off. 

I'll have to install a "jack e up" or a pipe style jack on the inside of my frame.  I can't install it on the outside as it'll interfere with my weight distribution bars.

The tongue jack on our pop-up had a pin you pulled out, and the entire jack swiveled 90 degrees to store it against the frame rail.

I confident you could replace the jacks. I don't know what "wimpy stabilizer jacks" you now have, but scissor-type jacks are common enough.

Uneven jacking is a concern, but that's up to you to be cautious about.  You could avoid that issue by placing a scissor or hydraulic jack under the tongue when needed. just keep it in the truck or trailer when not in use.  However, there are many different styles and sizes of tongue jacks too, and I have to wonder if one of them may not fit your rig ok.
Check out the many types available:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tongue+jack&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

This is the type of jack Happy and Brad referenced.  I had one on my pop up, too.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Jack-sf-Side_Frame_Mount_Jack-gw-2000_lbs.aspx

One of the pipe mount jacks may work with the mounting pipe a bit longer to clear the WD hitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom