Destination ideas for Colorado mountain areas, summer 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

We're in the early planning stages for an August 2018 loop through Colorado, escaping the Phoenix heat. The tentative routing would have us coming through Moab, heading towards Vail, then Aspen, Ouray (went through there many years ago) & Durango, then down to Taos (where we just left, had a great time).

Looking for destination ideas, things to do, and campground recommendations. Probably spend about 4 full days at each destination, would alternate between dry camp and full hookup. I presume some reservations will be required so trying to get an early start.

Thx all.

I think the prettiest place in Colorado is Steamboat lake. There's something going on in Steamboat Springs every week. There's a PRCA rodeo every weekend.

halfwright said:
I think the prettiest place in Colorado is Steamboat lake. There's something going on in Steamboat Springs every week. There's a PRCA rodeo every weekend.

It's been added to the itinerary, thanks!

Howdy Sun2Retire,

What a coincidence! We too will spend a lot of time around Metro Phoenix, but plan on heading to Colorado during summer.

We've therefore been researching Colorado destinations for quite some time, here's what we've come up with:
  • Ouray: http://rvlife.com/rvers-shouldnt-pass-up-ouray-colorado/
  • San Juan Skyway: http://roadslesstraveled.us/colorado-san-juan-skyway-rv-trip-dazzling-fall-color/
  • Poncha Springs: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,98966.msg891415.html#msg891415
  • Great Sand Dunes NP: http://www.interstellarorchard.com/2016/09/20/great-sand-dunes-national-park-co/
  • Leadville: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/dispersed-camping-at-10000-feet-leadville-co/
  • Red Rock Park: http://rollinginarv-wheelchairtraveling.blogspot.com.br/2013/07/red-rock-park.html

We also second Halfwright's suggestion for Steamboat Springs, it came up a lot during our research.

Hope you find the above useful, and if you find other CO (or other) nice wintering places convenient to someone coming out of Phoenix, please let us know.

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

Scott, if you're not already aware of it, the Ouray to Silverton part of the loop is on what they call the Million Dollar Highway.  It's beautiful but some people don't like to drive it in RVs because of steep drop-offs and several high passes.

ArdraF

halfwright said:

Suggestions on where to stay? The state park sounds nice

ArdraF said:
Scott, if you're not already aware of it, the Ouray to Silverton part of the loop is on what they call the Million Dollar Highway.  It's beautiful but some people don't like to drive it in RVs because of steep drop-offs and several high passes.

ArdraF

My DW calls it "Dead Man's Highway" and having traveled it in the toad, forbids me from taking the MH on it.

ArdraF said:

Heli_av8tor said:
My DW calls it "Dead Man's Highway" and having traveled it in the toad, forbids me from taking the MH on it.

No, wasn't aware Ardra. How does it compare to Hiway 1 north of San Simeon?

Scott

Google pictures from the park and see what you think. I have volunteered there twice for a total of 8 months. I love the place.

We just came from a campground north of Cortez, south of Telluride. Its call Priest Gulch RV park. This is the prettiest, well kept and landscaped place I have seen yet. The Delores river runs right by your bed room window. I was so impressed we reserved for next September already.

Might wanna spend a day touring the "Black Canyon of the Gunnison".... 2000'+ deep canyon that's spectacular.  KOA just north of Ouray was nice; Several Bur Rec campgrounds around Gunnison Lake plus several private RV Parks along the shoreline.  Hot Springs in Pagosa are nice as well as the Public Park Hot Springs in Ouray.  Telluride is always a kick but often crowded.  Canyon of the Ancients near Cortez and the Anasazi Vistor's Center are great for history buffs.  Golf courses in or near all these places are first rate but especially in Breckenridge where the bicycle trails are plentiful.  Mining Museum in Leadville tells some amazing stories.  Narrow gage RR between Durango/Silverton gets a ton of interest every year.  River runs on the Arkansas between Buena Vista and Salida can be exciting.  Great Sand Dunes NP outside Alamosa would be worth a visit... adjacent to come of the famous fourteeners.  Mesa Verde NP just east of Cortez merits some attention.  Of course Rocky Mt NP up north has the honors of NPs in Colo.  If you get a Colo State Parks Pass you could mosey from one to the next and have great campgrounds at a reasonable cost.

Probably enough for several months.

I suggest you Google Million Dollar Highway Elevation/Photos/etc. and you'll see people's comments.  Terrifying is one word I've seen used.  But, other people drive it with no problem.  Best you judge for yourself.  Can't remember that part of CA 1.  The Million Dollar Highway doesn't have many guardrails so a mistake would be really bad for all concerned.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I suggest you Google Million Dollar Highway Elevation/Photos/etc. and you'll see people's comments.  Terrifying is one word I've seen used.  But, other people drive it with no problem.  Best you judge for yourself.  Can't remember that part of CA 1.  The Million Dollar Highway doesn't have many guardrails so a mistake would be really bad for all concerned.

ArdraFIf you travel from the south it isn't bad. You will be against the canyon wall. If you are heading south you will be along the edge. There are no guardrails for easy snow removal. I remember about 25 years ago stopping at the top of Red Mountain pass and looking off the edge of the road down in the canyon floor and seeing a couple of cars at the bottom! It scared the hell out of this flat-lander.

ArdraF said:

Aye caramba! Ya, I'm pretty brave, but think I'll avoid that. Yikes. Makes Highway 1 look like a freeway.

Looks like we'll be going Ouray-Taos via Dove Creek!

Heli_av8tor said:

Especially southbound, she'd be looking over the edge!

Attachments

• Uncompahgre Gorge.jpg
    Uncompahgre Gorge.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 28
Sun2Retire said:
Aye caramba! Ya, I'm pretty brave, but think I'll avoid that. Yikes. Makes Highway 1 look like a freeway.

Looks like we'll be going Ouray-Taos via Dove Creek!

Especially southbound, she'd be looking over the edge!

Via Dove Ck would be about 100 miles further than via Durango or even back thru Gunnison and Monte Vista...??

taoshum said:
Via Dove Ck would be about 100 miles further than via Durango or even back thru Gunnison and Monte Vista...??

I hadn't checked the mileage via Gunnison/Monte Vista. When you say via Durango, are you talking about via Rico and Dolores?

The million dollar highway is a normal width highway.  The fastest most people drive a RV is about 45mph.  In the sections with the drop offs w/o guard rail we drove it at 30mph or slower.  There is no reason on a normal width highway driving at 30mph, or maybe 20mph, to drive off the edge of the normal width highway. 

However for folks with limited or no mountain driving this is not a route to take.  You must be comfortable in down hill driving in the mountains.  That means starting down a steep incline, by manually selecting 2nd or 3rd gear, letting the engine do almost all the braking, only pressing hard on the brakes for 10 seconds or so to drop your speed by 15-20mph then staying off the brakes for at least 60 seconds, or better yet get into a low enough gear and low enough speed you only have to press the brakes every 2-4 minutes. 

Keep in mind, you are going to be driving on roads like the million dollar hwy all over Colorado, they just don't look so scary because they usually have 10-20 feet of gravel between the pavement and the drop off.  Because of the snow removal requirements a lot of the highways don't have guard rails. 

Even taking I-70 though Colorado, if you don't use proper engine braking procedures you WILL encounter very long steep downhill stretches where your brakes can over heat and brake fade will cause to loose braking ability.   

Back
Top Bottom