Cell phone recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Verizon.  Just got a decent LG smart phone free with a 2 year contract.  Already have a plan so adding it is 20.00/month

Are there any truly unlimited data plans out there?  We've got Verizon with 2 cell phones and a MiFi for internet - and while we pay for unlimited data, the speed drops to a crawl after 15 gigs.  We are on a 6 month adventure, and use a lot of internet for business type stuff, as well as keeping in touch, etc.  Spent the last 10 days of December on that crawl - worse on the MiFi than phones. 

Thanks is advance for any info!

Marie

I really hope AT&T brings back the unlimited 4G "Connected Car" plan, but I'm not holding my breath. We have it, and it truly is unlimited with the minor exception of those occasional periods when we're connected to a really busy tower. At $20/mo, it's the best deal I've ever seen for 4G. We also have a couple of Verizon hotspots with unlimited 3G at $5/mo, but those are grey market devices that could be shut down at any time.

timjet said:
Have you heard of Google Project fi?

Yes, but at $60 for unlimited data, it's 3 times more than my AT&T unlimited plan. And at 15GB G-fi is throttled, while our AT&T plan is never throttled. Google isn't exactly giving away those phones either...

Summer9192000 said:
Which cell carrier is used by rv travelers?  Want efficiency and low cost.

We use Consumer Cellular. It's less expensive than AT&T but uses the AT&T network, so coverage is excellent. Of course we have just a 3GB data plan, and we rarely use even a quarter of that.

donn said:
Depending on where you travel and your actual needs, Verizon offers the best ovetall coverage.  Tmobile, and the other cheap carriers generally loose out once you leave main population areas.

Not true anymore. T-Mobile in the last few years has invested a tremendous amount of money expanding their network, and now are about evenly tied with Verizon for coverage area.  I can verify that as I have a router that can utilize 2 Sim cards from different carriers.  I use one from T-Mobile and one from Verizon.  I use the T-Mobile card 90% of the time as we drive around the country. Their coverage is generally the same or better, and the data plans are much less expensive.  So there are choices out there, just do your research.

NY_Dutch said:
Yes, but at $60 for unlimited data, it's 3 times more than my AT&T unlimited plan. And at 15GB G-fi is throttled, while our AT&T plan is never throttled. Google isn't exactly giving away those phones either...
Not true anymore. Fi is never throttles. I paid $23 last month for service. Fi is the cheapest and the best way to go for anyone.

SeilerBird said:
Not true anymore. Fi is never throttles. I paid $23 last month for service. Fi is the cheapest and the best way to go for anyone.

From my very limited research I understand there are currently only 3 phones that work with Fi. Also you pay month by month cancel any time and you pay for what you use, so your bill is different each month, correct? Since Fi uses existing carriers cell towers I wonder if it's possible if the tower you're currently connected to fills up, if the owner of that tower gives priority to it's own customers and Fi subscribers are dropped. Probably doesn't happen much except in limited coverage area's when there's a lot of people there perhaps like Quartzville.
Also it's my understanding that Fi phones are compatible with the two US cellular frequency standards and work overseas.

SeilerBird said:

So when the Google Fi plan page says, "Additional data may be slowed but is still free in months when you use over 15 GB.", they don't really mean it? We sometimes hit over 100GB at full 4G/LTE speeds in a month, and our bill is still just $22.01 including taxes using our $99 Mobley hotspot.

I got a Mobley too and you can't beat it for data, you just can't talk to anyone with it. I hope ATT keeps this plan.

timjet said:
I got a Mobley too and you can't beat it for data, you just can't talk to anyone with it. I hope ATT keeps this plan.

We have two VOIP apps on our phones that let us make and receive phone calls via WiFi that work very nicely with our Mobley or any other accessible WiFi signal.

Back
Top Bottom